Cover Cake Dummie B4 Applying Bc To It?

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 11:38pm by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 14

I searched the threads and couldn't find an answer to my question, but I swear I saw it on here once. I have to practice painting with BC and bought a styrofoam dummie to practic on (and to have for future use. Do I need to cover my dummie or do I apply the BC directly on it? I want to be able to use this dummie over and over again. Will the BC wash off the dummie easily with soap and water or do I protect the dummie with something before putting on the BC?

Thanks!

VIcki

13 replies
buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 14

I am wondering this too- i really need to get my feet wet with the dummies and practising...what is the best thing to do? just cover it, snap some pictures and chuck it? like, rinsing off the dummies sounds so messy and time consuming to me.
and i have heard of decorators covering the dummies- with plastic wrap or something? (how do you get the plastic wrap to cling to the styro?) but then what?
does anyone just swallow the cost of throwing out a couple of dummies instead of the hassle?
tia

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 14

Hi, I have used dummies. But I haven't covered it with bc. I have done it with fondant. To do that I apply a bit of water on the dummies and then cover it. You can use bc under fondant on a dummy too. Another suggesion is piping gel. I haven't used it, but I'm sure you can use it.

When I want to take fodant off the dummy, I soak it in hot water, so it jsut comes off without any trouble.

HTH.

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:22am
post #4 of 14

I just grease my dummies with Crisco before applying fondant.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:47am
post #5 of 14

you can apply bc to it, when your ready to change out just chip it off with your spatular and wash it, as long as you dont chip the styrofoam youll be able to use it over and over. or you can covered it with a shrink wrap, the kind you shrink with a hair dryer or the press and seal wrap would probably work too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:38am
post #6 of 14

I've always just slapped the BC directly on the styrofoam. When you're ready to change it, just run a knife (I use my icing spatula) under the layer of hardened icing and it pops right off. I pretty much just wipe it down with a wet dishcloth and it's ready to go.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 14

indydebi, I read your response about the BC and the dummy.

My chocolate wedding cake, done recently, was covered with chocolate BC and the MIL used a spatula to remove the BC.
I have only just received this dummy back and it has odds and ends of BC all over it that has now gone hard. How would you suggest I try and remove the BC now??
Could I perhaps put this into hot soapy water and wash it down by just rubbing it, or do I do as you suggest and just try and wipe with a wet dishcloth??

Trixyinaz Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 14

I forgot to come back and say Thanks!

indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:47pm
post #9 of 14

charmaine ... whatever works! If you can't easily scrape it off with a spatula or knife, try the wet rag. If that doesnt' work, soak it for awhile, just like you do your crusted pans.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 14

.......has odds and ends of BC all over it that has now gone hard....put this into hot soapy water and wash it down by just rubbing it,........

It might not all come off ever but most of it should. The *HOT!* water should help. Even if uyou don't get it all off, a new coat of icing should cover it.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:14pm
post #11 of 14

indydebi, I don't want to try any further with a spatula as it seems to be imbedded in the dummy, so I will give it a try by soaking and just rubbing with the dishcloth.

kakeladi.....my worry is if it doesn't all come off, won't the dark bits of the BC show thru if I happen to put a light frosting on it again.

But, thanks to you both for coming back to me about this matter, appreciated.

Trixyinaz Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 14

Debi - I did read in one of your other posts that your BC hardens like a rock for some reason. How quickly does it harden? I did a practice cake last night on it and want to keep it one until Tuesday when I make the actual cake so I have something to reference and correct the mistakes that I made on the "fake" cake. It wouldn't harden that quickly, would it? I'm just curious...not that it matters seeing as it will come off with a little work.

indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 10:46pm
post #13 of 14

I made one on a Friday for a Saturday bridal show. I could pick it up by the sides and carry it into the show on Sat morning.

Trixyinaz Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:38pm
post #14 of 14

Dang, mine crusted over, but if I press too hard, I'll wipe off the icing. I wonder if the type of icing I used matters. I was practicing painting with buttercream so took Talmas' suggestion and used the FBCT icing recipe (not my norm to decorate with, but I have to say I loved decorating with it). 3 sticks of butter and 1 cup of Crisco to 2 lbs of sugar. My husband didn't like it at all...said it was too buttery! I thought it tasted pretty good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%