Yet Another "can I Freeze?" Question

Decorating By peacenique Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 3:08pm by pastrylady

peacenique Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 13

Forgive me for asking something that has been asked many times before.

I'm going to be specific about what recipes I am about to use to see if anyone knows of any problems.. or has any tips.

WASC filled with a whipped white chocolate ganache, iced with a SMBC.
Can I dam the layer with SMBC and fill with a whipped white ganache.. crumb-coat with the SMBC... then freeze it like that for a few days?

I'm guessing I would have to take it out of the freezer Saturday morning to ice and decorate Saturday night... then leave it in the fridge over-night. Or should I take it from the freezer and thaw it in the refrigerator instead of the counter?

It'll be served at a church coffee around noon on Sunday.

Anybody see problems or have tips, not only about freezing those recipes, but of the sequence for doing the work.

How long should such a cake be out of the refrigerator to be perfect for eating?

Thank you for your help.

peace,
Maija

12 replies
kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 13

......whipped white chocolate ganache, iced with a SMBC..........

Since I have never used either of those I cannot advise you.
My gut feeling is not , neither will hold up......but as I said, I have not used either.

bashini Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 13

Hi, sorry I cannot help with the ganache & SMBC. But I can say something about freezing. I would take the cake out on Saturday morning and thaw it with the wraping, in the fridge. Then decorate it in the night.

I have a cake in the freezer, which I have filled with jam & BC. I need to give it on tuesday. So I'm going to take it out tomorrow (sunday) and decorate it on monday.

HTH.

peacenique Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:36am
post #4 of 13

Does anyone have experience with these types of recipes and freezing, as I described?

I'll freeze them unfilled if that's the only way.

Anybody??? Pretty please....

maimai16 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:19am
post #5 of 13

hi peacenique. try to PM jkalman. she's very knowledgeable about SMBC, or i might say the queen of SMBC. she might not able to see your thread.

Linliv46 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:37am
post #6 of 13

I am not sure about your freezing whipped ganache (no experience there) but I have frozen the SMBC lots of times. Works fine and your time line sounds good. I would set it on the counter in the morning and decorate that night. Should work fine!

peacenique Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:50am
post #7 of 13

Thank you both so much! The smbc recipe I have begun to use is actually jkalman's. She's helped me out with other things before.. I'll pm her as you suggested.

Again, thank you.

peace

Idreamofcakes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:23am
post #8 of 13

ok I feel dumb...but what is smbc?

Teri

FromScratch Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:25am
post #9 of 13

The SMBC will be more than fine thawing, and the ganache should hold up to, though I have never frozen whipped ganache, I have chilled it and thawed it with no issues. I think your timeline is more than fine too. It shouldn't take too long to thaw.. how big is the cake?

maimai16 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:39am
post #10 of 13

Idreamofcakes, SMBC stands for swiss mirengue butter cream...

Idreamofcakes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:43am
post #11 of 13

OHHHH Thank you! I knew I was having another DUH moment icon_redface.gif

sayhellojana Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:56am
post #12 of 13

I would imagine that whipped ganache would not hold up to the drastic temperature changes. I'm not an avdocate of freezing cakes. If you have an airtight container, I use a plastic cake carrier with side clamps, you can keep your cake in there for days without it drying out, even longer if it's frosted.
HTH.

pastrylady Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:08pm
post #13 of 13

You can definitely freeze a cake with whipped wc ganache filling.

I would give the cake a good 2-3 hours out of the refrigerator before serving. If you have a cool room temperature, you could even box up the cake after decorating and leave it out overnight. Since the cream has been cooked to make the ganache, and because of the high sugar content in the chocolate, the ganache will not go bad with just a few hours at room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%