Help With Gumpaste Shoe!!

Decorating By mkmetz Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 12:35am by GI

mkmetz Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:21pm
post #1 of 6

I've been working on my first gumpaste shoe and I think it's looking terrible! First, I'm wondering if I should have let the heel dry for a while before attaching it to the shoe. Once it was attached and placed on the cardboard support, the heel just started falling/sinking and wrinkling. The toe cover of the shoe is also very lumpy. What have I done wrong?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 replies
mandysue Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 6

hmmm... I don't think I can be of much help...the one and only shoe I've made was made out of fondant. The directions I got off of this site were invaluable! I just followed the directions and the only two things that I know I can do differently are to roll the fondant thinner and to keep the crumpled saran wrap under the toe of the shoe until it's completely dry. Perhaps whatever you have crumpled under there to hold it up is lumpy, and therefore making the toe lumpy. If you have a cardboard form under the shoe still, the heel shouldn't have any weight on it yet, so shouldn't be buckling. Don't remove the form until the shoe is dry. I hope that helps. Good luck!

bashini Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 6

Hi, the shoes I have done, made out of using the same tutorial Mandysue has mentioned above. Is the heel as same hight as the cardboard support? Other wise, I can't think of any reason for it to come off once you attach it. And do not remove the support, until completely dry. I too use crumpled saron wrap under the toe.

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 6

i just made my first shoe a couple of weeks can see it on my flickr page at used all gum paste and i let it harden before attaching the heel......i ended up not liking the heel and used a wooden dowel covered in gum paste for it......the gum paste worked good for me b/c it dried faster and harder than fondant.....hope this helps....good luck![/img]

superstar Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:20pm
post #5 of 6

I used a wooden skewer, cut to the height I needed & then covered with sugar paste/gumpaste whatever you want to call it. The heel must be dry before attaching. I used the wonderful instructions by 'Socakes, I pm'd her & she sent them to me, I don't know if they are on CC or not.

GI Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:35am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. I'm watching all these answers! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%