Yet Another Newbie Question, Courtesy Of Me

Decorating By KidMcWonder Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 11:37pm by bettinashoe

KidMcWonder Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 9

What exactly does sour cream do to a cake when you're baking it? Is it for flavor? Texture?

I've never used it in a recipe before.
TIA!

8 replies
Bijoudelanuit Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 9

Sour cream adds moisture and richness, some tang for flavor and it can make the product a bit more tender as the fat limits gluten development while mixing.

Mike1394 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijoudelanuit

Sour cream adds moisture and richness, some tang for flavor and it can make the product a bit more tender as the fat limits gluten development while mixing.

Then how come scratch butter cakes tend to be drier, and denser.

Mike

Bijoudelanuit Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 9

Butter is (in the US) 80 percent fat, where sourcream is 20% with a much higher liquid content.

KidMcWonder Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 9

So...could you use butter AND sour cream together?

bettinashoe Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #6 of 9

I use sour cream and butter together in my favorite chocolate cake and white cake recipes. I think it improves everything about the cake.

CakeChica Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 9

Every recipe I try with sour cream is awesome. So I am wondering if anyone out there knows how to incorporate sour cream to any cake recipe? Some of my homemade cakes aren't always moist unless there is sour cream in it. I would like to know if there is anyway to just add some sour cream to a recipe that doesn't use it?

bettinashoe Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:36pm
post #8 of 9

I have often just substituted sour cream for the majority of the liquid. Say the recipe calls for 1 cup of milk. I'll add 3/4 cup sour cream and 1/4 cup milk. The uncooked cake will be much thicker but it does work.

bettinashoe Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 9

And...Mike the cakes I make with sour cream are much more moist than any mix I've ever tasted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%