Best Cake Recipe For Carving?

Decorating By UltimateCakes Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 12:41am by kakeladi

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 9

I've never carved a cake before. Would like suggestions on what recipe you use to make a cake that will be carved. (I'm doing a 3D Guitar)

Any and all suggestions are appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 9

Definately a candidate for my WASC:

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi
1 box cake mix (I prefere Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt*

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire wisk, but optional. In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk, cream or even juice for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 or 5 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR two 8" or three 6" round; or a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefere to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. Use your nose - if you smell it most likely it is done. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart. Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

Some people have told me they use yogurt instead of sour cream....I never tried that.
And that's right.......there is NO oil/butter/margerine used in this recipe.

Happy baking to you!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 9

....yep, WASC is good...or any pound cake recipe cuz they are so dense icon_wink.gif

UltimateCakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 9

Ok - I will try that recipe. I hope it turns out well. I'm a little nervous, but with all the help I get from CC I should be fine. I'll be sure to let you all know how it turns out. Thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 9

Kakeladi---

How does your WASC taste? Is it dry tasting like a pound cake? Or more moist like a cake box mix?

Paul & Peter

kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:20pm
post #6 of 9

I definately think it is NOT dryicon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you SO much! That's what we wanted to hear! We think we hear the oven calling.......WASC...Bake me some WASC!!!!!!!!

Paul & Peter

UltimateCakes Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 9

LOL

kakeladi Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:41am
post #9 of 9

Hey Sweet Guys what's your verdict?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%