Buttercream Icing Issues!

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 8:27pm by kakeladi

VS8894 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 5

I hope that someone out there can help me with my icing issues.

I have been making the Wilton Buttercream Icing, all shortening recipe. I did take the classes, etc.

My problem is, that I am not sure of the consistency. My book says that it needs to be thin consistency for icing. I have been using the Viva method and it feels soft and squishy. If I try to make it thicker it seems to not spread very well and I get a lot of crumbs. I have tried the thin to crumb coat and then the thicker on top and it still picks up crumbs from the first layer.

Is there a better recipe that doesn't require butter, I don't have the resources to refrigerate my cakes.

I hope this makes sense icon_confused.gif

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 5

The thin consistency is softicon_smile.gif That's the whole purpose of it. It should not be WET, not look like it's curdled - that means you have too much liquid.
You definately *can* use 1/2 butter & 1/2 shortening in b'cream and not need to keep it in the frig. It will keep at room temp up to a week.....in fact probably up to 2 weeks when in a well sealed jar/container.

Since you are having problems w/a crumb coat try this:
Using only about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of thin consistency b'cream microwave it until it melts. This should only take aobut 5-10 seconds on high. Watch thru the door and as soon as you see it start to melt take it out and stir it until thin. Pour on the top of the cake and spread it *very quickly* all over the cake as thin as you can spread it. It dries almost instantly and will look similar to the coating on a glazed donut. It seals the cake soooooooo well it's impossible to get crubs in your finish coaticon_smile.gif

VS8894 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks you for the tips. I will try the poured buttercream crumb coat.
On the other issue, putting butter in it, will the cakes have to be refrigerated after applied. I didn't want to have to refrigerate cakes while waiting to deliver. I have a full time job and have to make a day ahead and then deliver them.

Just don't want to poison anyone and not sure if I need to tell them to refrigerate after delivery.
Also, if you put this butter/crisco under fondant and do ahead several days, will it need to be refrigerated?

chellebell70 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 5

That's a great idea for crumb coat. I hate to crumb coat!

kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 5

No the cake does not need to be refrigerated unless you use a filling that requires it.
The icing does not need to be refrigerated.
You definately *can* use 1/2 butter & 1/2 shortening in b'cream and not need to keep it in the frig. It will keep at room temp up to a week.....in fact probably up to 2 weeks when in a well sealed jar/container.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%