Gumpaste And Drying...

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 5:25pm by Rocketgirl899

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 15

Alright, so I have read all the posts I could find on this. And I am little premature on if my gumpaste wont dry because its only been 12 hours.

I made stamens for calla lillies last night using Edna's tutorial (thanks edna!!) and BAKELS gum paste. My gumpaste was a little dry, and added about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of crisco to about a cup of gp. Then as I was rolling the stamens I had a little crisco on may hands. This morning the GP feels almost the same as last night.

Now I am reading that I should use Tylose.... but I thought GP was fine, and I only needed to add that to fondant. Could it be the brand? I just bought Satin Ice GP but wanted to use up the rest of my Bakels.

I have a really busy week so I was wondering if I should be patient, or go out and get tylose and remake, or remake with the satin ice? ergh.

Okay, well if PS, or cornstarch dry GP out... can I roll stamens in it and see if that helps? I think I will try this right now. Amazing how just being on CC gives me ideas.

Okay, also just remembered a GP tip. Make your glue and put it in a NEW nail polish bottle (you can get this at the beauty supply). That way you don't have to make up just a little, and you can seal it. Don't forget to label! I heard you should store it in your fridge, and if it gets yellow its going bad icon_smile.gif

14 replies
tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 15

How do you make the "glue"? Sorry.. I am new to the world of gum paste! icon_redface.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 15

I always have read that gumpaste Bakels had issues with the drying. The other day someone finally brought some to me and I didn't like it at all. If you can't make you'r own gumpaste, I would souggest using Wilton or Satin Ice. If they are too hard, add a little bit of fondant to soften it.
The problem was the type of gumpaste you were using.
Glad you like the tutorials.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:18pm
post #4 of 15

I've only ever used Wilton. Made lots of gum paste things yesterday morning and they were all dry by dinner when I started assembling the cake. I'd venture a guess that it might be the brand.

I also use Crisco for my gum paste and I use a mix of corn starch and powdered sugar. All depends on what I'm doing. Wilton dries fast enough that if you don't keep it covered, it will start to dry and crack in minutes.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 15

......stamens for calla lillies last night using Edna's tutorial (thanks edna!!) and BAKELS gum paste. My gumpaste was a little dry, and added about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of crisco to about a cup of gp.....

Well there's you problem.........Bakels icon_sad.gif
Yep, as others have said, it has big time drying issues icon_sad.gif
You can try rolling it in cornstarch. Many times when making gp flowers it will telll you to dry on a bed of cornstarch so that might help but the biggest problem is the brand.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 15

tarheelgirl.. Edna's tutorial says 1 part GP 4 parts water... so 1/4 teaspoon gp to 1 teaspoon water... I break up the GP into small peices and use my instant hot water tap (190 degrees) and let it sit for a few minutes then stir till it desolves and gets milky.

I have rolled the bakels in ps/ cornstarch mix. icon_smile.gif We will see how that goes. If they are not dry by about 8 tonight I will just make new ones. I for sure will not use Bakels again!

Edna, I more like LOVE the tutorialsicon_smile.gif Thank you. You are adorable.

Last time I made GP flowers they never got super hard.. I should have known.....

So should I add tylose to Satin Ice?????

Thanks so much for all your help.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks so much for the details! icon_biggrin.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 15

I agree that the problem is Bakel's. I used it for the first time when I was making roses. I mixed tylose powder in, which was a first for me also, but those roses, made over 6 weeks are, are still soft, almost like real rose petals. Gotta be the Bakel's.

I made the Nick Lodge gumpaste this week and I love working with it! It has a real easy texture to work with.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 15

Rocketgirl---

We used up our Bakels and didn't do too bad with them drying; however, we were advised to use Nicholas Lodge's recipe since his was developed in Atlanta and is better in higher humidity type climates such as our good ole central Florida. The whiteness of it is AMAZING!!! And it was SO easy to make. The only drawback is that it's suggested to keep it in the refrigerator. That means it takes about an hour to warm up before you can start using it. But, we LOVE it much more than anything we've ever tried.

Paul & Peter

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 15

if you don't want to make your own from scratch i really love to use the CK brand gum paste powder mix. You just add water and form into a ball and let it sit overnight. you can get it here www.countrykitchensa.com

edited to say: i guess i didn't really answer your question icon_redface.gif , but i guess for future reference you could think about using it, lol.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:06pm
post #11 of 15

One more chiming in to say that Bakel's will not dry thumbsdown.gif . It took more Tylose powder to make the Bakel's firm up than Nic Lodge's recipe uses, so save the aggravation and expense and just make Nic's recipe from scratch.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:28pm
post #12 of 15

so i wonder if i should return my satin ice and just make it?

Wedding is next weekend, and im already behind with the flwoers because of a car accident.. grr. And I have two big tests on Tues and Thurs...

Do I need to add Tylose to satin ice or will I be ok?

If i do need to I will just return satin ice and make Nick's...

Thank you thank you thank you~

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:46am
post #13 of 15

Adding Tylose to Satin ice should do the job just fine (I actually haven;'t done it but it's a good fondant).

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:57am
post #14 of 15

Kakeladi,

have you used plain
satin ice?

uhhhh icon_smile.gif I am just oging to give it a go!

Worse case senerio, I have to buy tylose to add to it tomorrow..

Thanks you guys!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:25pm
post #15 of 15

well an update....

just opened up the Satin Ice GP and remade stamens. They are dry this morning, but I am going to let them dry alil longer icon_smile.gif

Made one flower, but I need metal cutters. But the flower was really thin and is completely dry.

I did not add Tylose.

Side note, my bakels was like 4months old... and I was so excited because I saved it in a food saver and thought WOW! That really worked well... nah just a crappy gp lol. I will try it with the SAtin Ice GP, and with Nick's....when I make it!

So excited to get some supplies today, but my cake shop is closed icon_sad.gif oh well more time to study icon_smile.gif haha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%