Need Advice On Purchasing An Ipod, Please

Lounge By butternut Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 8:32pm by cmp24

butternut Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 26

Ok, so I'm gonna show my age now. I asked my daughter what she wanted for her birthday and she said an ipod. I know they are out there, I've heard the name but what the heck are they? icon_redface.gif Can anyone give me an opinion on what to look for or what you think is the best one, etc? Obviously I know nothing about these things and I really, really need your help..... I have no idea what they even cost. Thanks so much guys....
Margie

25 replies
KKC Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 26

Well...i guess it would depend on how old your daughter is. They have iPod's that are suitable for younger kids like under 15yrs...they have the new iPod Nano's in different vibrant colors starting at $149..there is an 8GB which holds 2,000 songs/ 8 hours of videos and the 16GB holds 4,000 with 16 hours of video. They also have the classic iPod which holds more songs and videos and they start at $249.00...she can upload movies & tv shoes which can be purchased via iTunes (an Apple store where you can purchase games, music, movies etc..to program onto the iPod). Now my favorite is the iPod Touch...its a newer version of the iPod with a touch screen its just like the iPhone but minus the phone and it starts at $229.00. I've attached some pics so that you can see...I hope i helped you enough....
LL
LL

KKC Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 26

Sorry..i clicked submit without attaching the iPod touch...
LL

butternut Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 26

Wow, thank you so much Kivia for all of your help. I appreciate it so much. Yeah, my daughter is well over 15 (Yep, showing my age again) so I think I will look into the ipod touch since you said you like that one the best. Also, I guess I will need to purchase some itunes. I wonder if Costco sells the ipods. Need to check that out. Again, thank you. You've been a great help!!
Margie

Amia Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 26

Costco does sell the iPods. Check out the refurbished ones from the Mac store too. They're like new and you can save a lot of money.

butternut Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 26

Awesome, thanks Amy!!!

Amia Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 26

No problem! thumbs_up.gif

navywifetrat Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 26

Your daughter can also upload any CDs she has to her I-tunes to help save money on the cost of purchasing additional songs.

butternut Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifetrat

Your daughter can also upload any CDs she has to her I-tunes to help save money on the cost of purchasing additional songs.

Oh ok, sounds great!! Thanks so much!!

michellenj Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 26

I have a Classic and a Nano. The Nano is my "go-to" one. I really have no need to watch a vidoo on my ipod. I like it because it's smaller, too.

KKC Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 26

You're very welcome butternut....good luck!

confectionaryperfection Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:50am
post #12 of 26

how do you upload cds to your ipod??

blondie500 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:10am
post #13 of 26

If you order directly from apple.com, they have free shipping over $50 and they engrave for free. Makes it a bit harder for someone to steal. They also have a demo of the itouch.

As a side note, I've found that itunes/ipod are the easiest to download. I have a generic mp3 and use Napster. Complete pain in the butt and takes me forever. My daughter's Nano takes seconds.

dldbrou Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:05am
post #14 of 26

Go to the Apple.com store. You get all the information you need from them. I have a Nano and an Ipod touch. I love both, but prefer the IPod Touch. If price is a big concern, you can possible get refurbished IPod's from Apple. If you want to also purchase tunes, get her a gift card from Apple so that she can pick her favorite tunes.

lepaz Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:10am
post #15 of 26

If it's her first one, I would start off with one of the cheaper versions or like a previous poster said, get a refurbished one. I bought one for my daughter and while charging it overheated. Sent it back to Apple (I bought it directly and had it engraved) and they said it was due to something my daughter "must" have done to it. I explained to the rep, manager and manager of the manager that it happened while it was charging and the button even fell off because it got so overheated. They refused to exchange it or repair it. Just bought my daughter another one and it is starting to have trouble icon_surprised.gif and I am not looking forward to calling their customer service. And this is the girl who would carry her ipon on a pillow like royalty if she could. NOT happy with Apple.

SliceTheCake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:38am
post #16 of 26

i have had a shuffle (holds like 30 songs), a nano (4 gig) and a classic (80 gig). the classic is the only one i kept...it has my entire cd library on it with plenty of room to spare...its great for traveling b/c i can download tv shows and videos, as well as games...without running out of room. plus it holds all my music icon_biggrin.gif

i sold the nano b/c i hated only having half of my music library on it...i always found myself wanting to listen to a song that wasn't synced onto the ipod. drove me nuts!

i gave away the shuffle b/c i had no use for it (i had planned to use it while working out, but, well, that doesnt happen all that often, lol).

i would have bought the touch if it came with larger storage/memory....it may now, but when i was debating between the classic and the touch last winter, the touch only came in 8gb and 16gb.

i love all my apple stuff....wouldn't trade it for the world. i've found their customer service to be fantastic when i've needed them for my macbook...never had problems with any of my ipods.

good luck!

and an itunes gift card is a good idea too icon_wink.gif

KKC Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:29am
post #17 of 26

Oh and I forgot to add...that Target has the Ipod touch for $229.00 and you get a $25 Target gift card!!!

bigsisof3kids Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:17pm
post #18 of 26

I have the 8 gig video ipod, and I wouldn't trade it for anything! (okay, maybe tht's a bit extreme) It holds all my music, podcasts, videos and I have the entire Bible on audio on there. And that only used HALF of the memory. Like automatik said, I love it for traveling, and in the car. IT helps housework and cutting the grass go by much more quickly icon_smile.gif
It's ridiculous, I almost look forward to washing those dishes when it means I get to listen to the latest of my favorite podcast. icon_smile.gif

butternut Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:24pm
post #19 of 26

bigsisof3kids - Thanks so much for sharing your opinion. The video ipod, is that the same as the ipod nano? Thanks again

bigsisof3kids Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:51pm
post #20 of 26

The ipod classic (the one that plays video) I have is 30 gig. I have no idea why I wrote 8 gig in my last post.
The iPod nano is 8gig.

Sorry, I didn't mean to confuse you.

blondie500 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:05pm
post #21 of 26

The newer Ipod nano (that actually came out last year) are also video ipods. My daughter got one for Christmas last year and she downloads shows all the time. The ones that came out this year are available in multiple colors and the lowest price points starts out at 8GB (2,000 songs, 8 hrs of video) for a price of $149.

bigsisof3kids Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:08pm
post #22 of 26

Oh COOL I didn't know the nano plays video! I don't know anyone that has one. I'll have to keep that in mind.

butternut Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:18pm
post #23 of 26

I checked them out yesterday at Costco. I went ahead and purchased the 8gb "blue" ipod nano. As blondie500 said, it plays both songs and videos and you can load pictures. I liked the other ones as well but I think they would be overkill for her personally. The ipod nano seemed to be just right for her. I also purchased the itunes gift card. Thanks again to everyone for all of your help. Couldn't have done it without you!!!

SliceTheCake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:35pm
post #24 of 26

Hope she likes it! I got mine at costco too icon_smile.gif

butternut Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:54pm
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by automatik2

Hope she likes it! I got mine at costco too icon_smile.gif

Oh, I think she will. Thanks so much!!

cmp24 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 8:32pm
post #26 of 26

Working with IPODS for 3 years there are a lot of things needed to know before purchasing one.

IPODS

1. Yes you can upload SOME cd's to IPODS but not all. They like to do that to get you to purchase iTunes instead.

2. IPODS are like a computer. They have a movable hard drive in them. If it is accidentally dropped it could dislodge the hard drive and you no longer have music.

3. IPODS you are paying for the name. You are also paying a lot more for more storage.

MP3 Players

1. Do the same exact thing an IPOD does, and it does not matter about uploading cd's to it. Any cd will upload on a MP3. You get more storage for music and videos for less money.

2. No movable hard drive. MP3's are designed and made for people on the go, and teenagers. They can take some sweat, and roughness of teenagers. They are designed to work out with, run, job, and take on the go, and usually are just about the same size as a small IPOD.

3. MP3's are half the cost of a IPOD, but do the EXACT same thing a IPOD will do. Some MP3's out there can even play videos. Depending on what you want it to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%