Opposite Sides Of Cake Different Flavors?

Decorating By Kbbaby Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 12:01am by indydebi

Kbbaby Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 7

A friend asked me to do an 11x15 single layer cake, one side chocolate and the other side vanilla. How do I do this? Is there some sort of divider I can put in the middle or would I have to use small square cake pans and place the cakes next to each other? icon_confused.gif

6 replies
Mike1394 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 7

I put a piece of tin foil in the middle to create a dam. Pour in one flavor then pour in the next, pull out the dam.

Mike

Lady_Phoenix Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 7

Make both batters, then pour into your prepared pan from opposite sides. They will meet in the middle but not mix. Some people put a divider between them, then remove when the batter is in, but I have never had a problem with them mixing together. HTH

coffeechick Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 7

When doing this I usually tilt one side up just slightly(I put a cake box under one side) then pour in batter and when ready to put in other flavor i pull the box out and quickly pour in the other batter. Hope this helps
cherie'

keyshia Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 7

I've never gone through great measures to separate them. I put my cake pan on a saucer and pour in cake batter number 1 and then start pouring cake batter #2 while taking the saucer out. I've always ended up with it being pretty much half and half although the middle is a little bit of a "marble". I know Indydebi's commented on this some, and it was along those lines, but I can't remember the indism. icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 7

I wish I could do the half and half method of baking, but the 2 recipes I use call for different baking times, one side would be done while the other would be burning. I bake a chocolate cake in one pan, vanilla in the other, then cut them in half and stack them. They overlap some in the middle but that doesn't bother anyone icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:01am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyshia

I've never gone through great measures to separate them. I put my cake pan on a saucer and pour in cake batter number 1 and then start pouring cake batter #2 while taking the saucer out. I've always ended up with it being pretty much half and half although the middle is a little bit of a "marble". I know Indydebi's commented on this some, and it was along those lines, but I can't remember the indism. icon_smile.gif

this is exactly how i do it. You don't have to worry about it mixing ... it's batter, not Kool-Aid. When the 2 batters meet, they will stop each other ... like lava. I've never used a divider. Also, remember that chocolate cake rises higher and spreads more than white, so it may not be exactly half-n-half ... which is fine with customers (no one's ever complained about it yet!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%