Any Runners Here?

Lounge By michellenj Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 10:15pm by sillyjodes

michellenj Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 11

I need some advice, hopefully someone here can help.

The Philly marathon is Nov. 23, and I've registered to do the half. I've done one half marathon before, but I really trained for it. This one I've kinda slacked on. My typical week is running 8 miles or so 2x a week. Can I do this half in two weeks? Should I just say forget it? According to my training program, I should be running 12 today, then tapering the next 2 weeks.

TIA!
Michelle

10 replies
giraffe11 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 11

I think you can possibly do it, if you can do 8 miles with no problem and you've done another half before. I wouldn't push any time goals though, only to finish. If you try to do the 12 today, that would give you some indication. And definitely make sure you don't do any long runs closer in to the race. Tapering is still a necessity for you, probably, even if you haven't been training well for a while.
Good luck. I am doing a little old 8K next weekend!

michellenj Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 11

Of course it's raining here now, so I'll have to do it on the TM at the gym, which I hate. I think I was wanting someone to tell me that I can't do it. Then I tell myself that if I can push out an 11 pound baby, then hell ya I can run 13 miles. icon_lol.gif

giraffe11 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 11

Oh sorry! icon_wink.gif
Bummer about the rain. I hate treadmills too.
You should do it though.....I love the feeling of crossing the finish line......doesn't even matter how fast or slow my time is. And since having my 2 babies, running seems to be the only way for me to maintain my weight.
Are you a Phillies fan? My whole family lives in South Jersey and they were very excited about the Series.
Let me know what you decide to do about the race. I'll be thinking of ya thumbs_up.gif

dailey Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:09am
post #5 of 11

you can definitely do a half marathon. if it were a full one, i'd say skip it, but if you run 8 miles during the week then i see no problem.

cakelover25 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:04am
post #6 of 11

If you are doing 8 miles, you'll have no problem with the half. Or so my son says, I don't run but he does a full or half about once a month!

Good luck!

michellenj Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:12am
post #7 of 11

I know that I can do it. I think I'm just psyching myself out of it. I did the same thing before my last one. I overtrained for the one last spring, and I have undertrained for this one!

Thanks, guys!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:30am
post #8 of 11

I'm so envious of you runners. I have coworkers who run and they are always so fit and full of energy. I on the other hand am short and "fluffy" and move slowly. I tell them that if I move any faster I'll get carpet burn on my butt because it hangs so low. My MIL tells me that I need training wheels for it. icon_lol.gif It's an ongoing joke that if anyone ever sees me running, they better follow me...it means the building's on fire!

michellenj Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 11

You're funny, Kim. I never was a runner-hated it, actually-until someone told me that you don't run on your toes, you run and rock your foot forward. I found the "Couch to 5K" program on Cool Running, and found that I actually liked running. Well, not so much the running, but the hour (or whatever amount of time) that I got with blaring music that didn't involve a Disney character or Spongebob, plus, my butt got smaller. icon_lol.gif

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 11

OK. I'll take your word for it. Maybe I'll start walking, first. It can't hurt. icon_lol.gif

sillyjodes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:15pm
post #11 of 11

I just started the cool running program last week after finishing up my cake classes. I was starting to see the results of too much cake. It's great to hear that it worked for you. I need all the motivation I can find!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%