I Don't Know How To Start...

Baking By carrie46552 Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 5:49pm by indydebi

carrie46552 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrie46552 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 3

I live in a small town in Indiana. My husband is a partner in a local restaurant and suggested that I sell cupcakes out of the restaurant. The plan is the restaurant will get a percentage of the profits and I will get the rest. I will buy my own ingrediants, but use the restaurant to make the cupcakes. There is only one bakery in town, and no one likes it since it's under new management. I want to try it, but I don't know how to get started.
How many cupcakes should I make to start out?
How many varietys should I offer at a time?
Can I make my cupcakes in advance, I work full time as a dental hygienst, and I make erotic cakes on the side, so my time is stretched. (I'm trying to drop to part time in the dentist office)
Can I make cupcakes and freeze them, then frost them later, or is that not good?
What do I charge?
Any advice for a newbie?

I love this site. You guys post the most amazing cakes!

2 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 3

I've found that freezing unfrosted cupcakes works okay, but not as good as freezing cakes. The cupcakes seem to get a bit soft on top, which makes icing them cleanly a bit of a challenge. (I've never frozen frosted cupcakes, so I don't know how they'd do). I wouldn't make a bunch a head of time, as they don't stay fresh for more than a couple days. To start, I would offer a limited variety...maybe just vanilla and chocolate. Those will be the safest bet. You could put in a suggestion box for people to let you know what they'd like to see. There's a shop here in town that sells only cupcakes, and they charge $2 for a simple iced cupcake. That seems a bit high for this area, but they seen to be doing okay. I'd see what the area grocery stores charge, and then make sure I was charging more!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 3

I also recommend starting with simple ... chocolate and white. But an idea to make you stand out ... offer something different from the local bakery .....

Do a half-n-half cupcake. Fill the cupcake cavity not quite full enough with one batter, then put a dollop of the other batter on top. It's not "marble", but they get a little of both. I've done this and everything thinks it's ".... just SO cute!!!!"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%