Caramel Cake Recipe

Decorating By CakeDiva70 Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 11:04pm by CakeDiva70

CakeDiva70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva70 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! I have an order for a caramel cake, and I have never done one before. I know DH has a caramel cake and someone suggested putting butterscotch pudding in it. I am more concerned with the icing part. Does anyone have a caramel icing recipe that is tried and true. There are so many recipes out there, and I really don't have extra money to experiment. I really appreciate all the help you can give me. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 7

I posted the same question a few months ago. I tried adding ice cream caramel to bc but all it did was make it even sweeter, and sticky. The problem with caramel is it's the combination of cooked butter and brown sugar that gives it that flavor, but cooking your icing makes it harden once applied. I think next time I would try the cooked caramel icing as a filling and just use a whipped icing, or even fondant on the surface.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 7

I agree w/her^^^^

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 7

OOOOooo... I have a really good recipe for this... it is called Caramel Creme Frosting... I got it from my Kitchen Aid recipe book. I used it on the winnie pooh cake in my pics... but as a warning... it firms up pretty fast... I didn't realize that it firmed up as it cooled the first time I used it, so I wasn't working quite fast enough... so I would make it just before decorating and then frost it right away.... Here is the recipe:

Caramel Creme Frosting
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 cup mini marshmallows
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla

1) Melt butter in medium saucepan. Add brown sugar and milk, stirring to blend. Heat to boiling. Cook about 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows melt and mixture is smooth.
2) Place powdered sugar in mixer bowl. Add brown sugar mixture and vanilla. Beat on low for 30 seconds... and then on medium for 1 minute.... until smooth and creamy. Spread on cake while warm.

This makes enough to cover a 9x13 cake or a 2 layer 8 or 9' cake. I hope you enjoy it and let me know if you have any questions!

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry... icon_redface.gif I didn't read the other posts... I guess this won't really work if you don't want a recipe that hardens... sorry about that!

tp122579 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tp122579 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 7

HELLO FIRST OFF DO YOU WANT A RECIPE FOR A HOMEMADE CAKE IF SO PM ME AND I'LL GIVE YOU MY RECIPE I HAVE TWO OLD FASHION CARAMEL AND ALSO A BUTTER CARAMEL CAKE LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HELP THEY BOTH ARE VERY GOOD RECIPES

CakeDiva70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva70 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks to all for your help with this. I can't wait to test them out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%