Does Anyone Else Sing?

Lounge By giraffe11 Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 10:25pm by TC123

giraffe11 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:54am
post #1 of 10

My other giant extra-curricular pastime is an accapella women's organization called Sweet Adelines International. This week has been the big International convention and competition in Honolulu and I am not there. icon_cry.gif
I've been watching the competition on webcast, but it's not the same. Just wondered if anyone else does this.......?

9 replies
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 10

Not as talented as that but we DO own our own Kareoke machine. When friends hear that, they tell me, "I didn't know you could sing!" I tell them, "I didnt' say I COULD ..... I said I LIKED to!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But hubby and I do a mean Sonny & Cher!! icon_biggrin.gif And when we do the Kenny Roger/Dolly Parton duet of "Islands in the Stream", I get the Kenny ROgers part, because I sing lower than he does! icon_lol.gif (I'm the only woman I know who can hit the low notes in Elvis's "Teddy Bear").

Callyssa Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:58pm
post #3 of 10

I sing....much less now than I used to. When I was in high school I was in five different choirs at once! The favorite and best was our Madrigal group. It was eight guys and eight girls, and we sang at many different venues throughout the years. We even got together a few times after high school and surprised some members at their weddings with old music. It was great fun!

On a personal note though, I also took voice lessons and made it to State Solo and Ensemble. My music teacher really wanted me to pursue a career in opera, but all I wanted to do was pursue a career being a SAHM! I'll never regret my choices.

I don't even enjoy singing solo anymore like I used to; back then I loved the gratification I got from everyone complimenting me, etc. but I'm so much more secure in who I am today, that I don't need, nor do I want that. I actually got butterflies in my stomach right before I walked into my Dad's house a few weeks ago with his 70th birthday cakes because I knew everyone would oooh and ahhhh, and I didn't want that!! I just wanted to give him a gift of love. I only post my pictures here to keep me humble......they pale in comparison to most of you! But, it's also nice to get helpful hints and suggestions, and be able to compare a year from now how I've progressed.

giraffe11 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:02pm
post #4 of 10

Oh.....another good karaoke Kenny Rogers duet is "Don't Fall in Love with a Dreamer". My friend Susan and I do that on her machine all the time......we have to duke it out for who sings Kenny's part though. icon_lol.gif
She always drags out the song lists at the end of a party. By that time, the slightly stuffy people have all gone home and the hangers-on are very relaxed....... very fun.
I would love to see your Sonny and Cher!
I always used to think that anyone could sing, given the proper encouragement, but then I met my husband! icon_eek.gif He tries though........

bigsisof3kids Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 10

I sing at my church. I'm also the children's choir director. It's so much fun. I wouldn't say I"m really good at singing, but I can carry a tune. I have not been blessed with any vibrato at all, my brother has more than I do, lol. No fair.

mixinvixen Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:25pm
post #6 of 10

that's what brought me to nashville!

i've seen ads for that group and have seriously considered going to a meeting to check it out.

i adore singing, and really can't fathom how someone can hear a song, like my husband, and not feel compelled to sing along!!

giraffe11 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:40am
post #7 of 10 husband feels compelled to sing just wish he wouldn't. Ha!
The chorus in Nashville is called "Metro Nashville". I don't know anything about them, but they have qualified to sing at the International convention next fall.
This year's contest just finished up last night. A chorus from Chicago won and my favorite of the contest, from Toronto,Canada, took second. There was a funny Swedish chorus that took 5th. I don't really remember all the rest.....

Ruby2uesday Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:14am
post #8 of 10

I sang with the Army band in Hawaii, The 25th ID (L) Tropic Lightning Band. I wish i had the ability to sing now, but w/ 2 jobs i just don't have time to see if my community choir would need an extra set of lungs. My favorites were the Hawaii State song, Handel's Messiah, and we did Avita and Cats also. The full band also had little ofshoots like a country group, which i did, and a semi Rock band which all the choir members did after we went from 16 members to 4. it was fun!!!

cupcakeco Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 10

I can sort of relate... all throughout highschool I was a part of a small tightknit accapella group which I enjoyed much both participating and performing. I was in it for 3 & 1/2 years... and would've finished all four if they hadn't moved practice to 6:00 in the morning icon_eek.gif! It was bittersweet sitting out of what would have been my final spring concert but hey...what can you do?

TC123 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 10

I wish I could sing and be affiliated with a singing group like ya'll. But I honestly can't seem to hit a note anymore. I grew up singing in elementary, junior- and high school choruses, as well as my church's junior and then senior choirs. Don't know what happened. icon_confused.gif My bird's the only one who can put up with me anymore! icon_cry.gif I have a friend who has his own band, who insists that I do a Stevie Nicks song during one of his shows, and I say he's completely NUTS! icon_eek.gif He'll never get another gig as long as he lives! icon_lol.gif ... I don't mean to get off-topic, but if anyone knows of any CD/DVD tutorials to help with singing, I could sure use the direction. I'd love to be part of a church or other singing group again. But ~ not if I'm going to ruin it. icon_redface.gif Thanks & have a great night!

Quote by @%username% on %date%