Need Answer Right Away...

Decorating By sugarflour2 Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 6:24pm by sugarflour2

sugarflour2 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:50am
post #1 of 13

How do you attach fondant to a buttercream covered cake?

12 replies
JanH Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:30am
post #2 of 13

That info andso much more can be found in this thread.....

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st stacked/tiered/layer cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

sugarflour2 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 13

Stupid me, I phrased this question wrong. I'm covering a cake with buttercream with fondant accents, how do i attach the accents without them falling off. Its a Batman cake with yellow buttercream that I need to attach fondant buildings (standing up) around the cake.

tarheelgirl Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 13

I usually just attach it to the buttercream. I have never had any problems with the fondant accents falling off! icon_biggrin.gif

pinkbox Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 13

I would think a little water or piping gel should work as long as its a strong buttercream so the weight doesnt pull it off the sides... I'd make sure it crusted well.

This is just my guess

Anyone actually done this??

kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 13

As you probably found out already one just pipes some fresh b'cream on the back of the piece. If it's a lg piece, pipe several circles of icing on the piece & stick it right on. Making a circle helps create a suction as compared to just using a 'blob'.

charman Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 13

I've tried this several times myself...I have done BC, and clear vanilla...seems like sometimes I have problems, and other times I don't. Is there a trick to how thick/thin it should be. I did on cake the other day that had stacked stars on the side, and by morning they had slid a bit...to where you could see the bleed behind it. Slid them back up and put toothpicks under them, but regardless...frustrating. I'll take any advise too.

CakeInfatuation Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 13

If my buttercream is already crusted I just use some gum glue that I make out of mixing a little gum paste with warm water. Make sure your glue is a little gluey and not watery. Then I paint the back of my fondant with a paintbrush and some glue and stick it right on. No oozing mess and works like a charm.

wrightway777 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:51pm
post #9 of 13

I use an even amount of piping gel (about a mm or two thick) (you can make your own if you'd like) and it is stickier/stronger than extract backed fondant. Make sure your fondant piece is not too thick to begin with though. I personally would stay away from water when dealing with any fondant work - it will eat away at the fondant.
Use a ruler before starting (or a 90 right angle)and make sure that the sides of your cake either are right angle straight (aka perfectly straight up) or they slope slightly inward not outward at the top of the side all they way around (or whatever the shape of your cake is aka square, etc).
For your buildings you could have the bottom of them to be slightly thicker thus creating a small natural base for when you stand them against your cake (to be on the safe side).

Win Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:53pm
post #10 of 13

You can't go wrong with gum glue which Shill describes above. I use that most. Piping Gel is the next best as you only have to use small dots of it to have good adherence.

charman Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 13

Gumpaste and warm water...do you just put it in the warm water and let it dissolve? If so, how much to how much? Sounds like a good idea.

tonedna Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:25pm
post #12 of 13

Basically if you ar putting too much glue it will slide down or bleed. A little will go a long way.
If you are doing gumpaste glue is around 1/4 of gumpaste to one tablespoong of water. Cut the gumpaste in smaller pieces so it dissolves faster. If you want it more thicker, just add more glue.
You can use buttercream too as glue, but careful, a thick blob will make your fondant uneven.
Finally, make sure your pieces ar not too thick.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sugarflour2 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:24pm
post #13 of 13

Thank so much everyone for the great tips! I did finally figure it out. It's funny, I always know how to do everything when I'm not make a cake, but the minute I have to do one, all rhyme or reason goes right out of my head and I don't know a thing. I totally spaz out when I'm making a cake for someone and I've never done it before. Anyway, I did use some buttercream and the buildings were still standing when the cake left here (hope it makes it until Monday).

I like the gum glue idea, I'll try it the next time I do a buttercream cake, if I do one again.

I'm going to post the pic in a few minutes. Your opinions are greatly respected.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%