Using Ribbon On Cakes

Decorating By keriskreations Updated 29 Jan 2009 , 8:37pm by indydebi

keriskreations Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:48am
post #1 of 9

I have a wedding cake I'm doing next weekend, and it will be BC icing. I've only used ribbon once, and it looked wet from the BC. I put wax paper on the back of the ribbon, but it still touched the BC a little and the ribbon got dark and looked wet. Of course it wasn't wet, it was the oil from the BC I think. What am I doing wrong? Any tips? The ribbon I'll be using is a chocolate brown, so it will be darker, but I'd like to know the proper technique so I can do it right. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Thanks! Keri

8 replies
JanH Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:12am
post #2 of 9
indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:21pm
post #3 of 9

If your icing crusts well, you can add the ribbon then and there are no wet spots to soak into the ribbon.

Otherwise, the best thing I've discovered from fellow CC'ers is to rub crisco on the ribbon. This discolored the whole thing in a uniform way and it looks great. I've used this tip a couple of times and it's great.

charman Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 9

I have also gone back and "painted" the ribblon lightly with veg. oil...especially if a satin ribbon...give that uniform look. Eventually the whole ribbon balances out, if you have the time to wait, but if not, get a paint brush and a bit of veg. oil, and have at it.

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 9

charman, fingers are faster! thumbs_up.gif Just dip your fingers in the oil (or grab clumps of crisco) and run the ribbon between your fingers! Done in seconds! thumbs_up.gif

charman Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 9

LOL...that is hilarious...will definitely try that next time! Thanks...

keriskreations Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:56am
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone!!! The other links were helpful, and it totally makes sense to "grease it up"! Then at least you are in control of the grease, and you get the uniform look. I'm using a dark brown ribbon, so it being a bit darker won't be a huge deal. Thanks!!!

Meagazz Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 9

I am sorry if I missed this in the posts, but would you grease both sides of the ribbon?? Or just the outtermost portion??

indydebi Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 9

I have crisco (thick!) on my fingers and just run my fingers down the length of the ribbon, so I end up doing both side.

One word of caution.... watch the color change. I did this on Navy Blue ribbon and it turned black. So I just had to wait until it crusted and I applied the dry ribbon the next day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%