Mmf Help - Urgent

Decorating By LadyPol Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 5:53am by LadyPol

LadyPol Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:04am
post #1 of 14

Hello all! Tuesday night I made some MMF and all went well, except that as I was rolling it out, I kept finding little junks of "gel" ???? It was just for a family meal for my son's bday so I didn't worry too much. Tonight, I have to make more MMF for a large birthday cake for his party tomorrow. Anyone have ANY idea why I might have gotten those little jelly-like lumps in my fondant? I want to avoid it tonight if at all possible!

13 replies
Shelly4481 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:10am
post #2 of 14

What recipe are you using? I have never had a problem like that with making my mmf. Are you using a mixer to mix it? There could be lots of reasons for things to happen, just depends on recipe, how you made it. Maybe we can figure it out if we have more info. Sorry not much help here.

LadyPol Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:17am
post #3 of 14

I am using a recipe I found here ............ 1 lb. marshmallows, 2T water, powdered sugar ...

Melt marshmallows and water ... add some powdered sugar and mix ... then knead in more PS until done! ...... The first couple of times I made this recipe I had no problems .. but the last 2 times I've gotten the little jelly pieces .... so strange!

GI Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:29am
post #4 of 14

Try FlowerGirlMN post here. It is right in the very beginning. It is absolutely THE BEST way to make MMF. I have added melted salt, lemon extract, vanilla extract, etc., to the liquid portion to cut down the sweetness & add flavor. Her way of making MMF is devine.

The very first time I ever made her MMF, it took me like all of 7 minutes. icon_biggrin.gif HTH!

LadyPol Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:31am
post #5 of 14

Thans, GI .. but hers IS the recipe I follow! I don't know why it's done this the past two times .. *scratching head*

goldenegg Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:33am
post #6 of 14

hmm, jelly pieces, that's strange i've never experienced that before, although when i make MMF (just made some tonight) if i don't knead it enough i get little powdered sugar chunks stuck inside the fondant and i just have to knead it more and work it in, or smash the chunks with my fingers, but this is more like little pebbles rather than a jelly type thing. do they go away if you knead it more?

janelwaters Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:38am
post #7 of 14

did you melt the marshmallows completely - i'm wondering if you had little pieces that didn't melt all the way that turned to "jelly".

just guessing...

GI Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:42am
post #8 of 14

Gosh....try sifting the powdered sugar. I'll bet you have a few 'mallows that are being stubborn. Smush it around a bit and make sure all are good and melted out flat.
Are you using a store brand or the name brand?

LadyPol Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:45am
post #9 of 14

I am using Kraft marshmallows .... tonight i sifted my powdered sugar so we'll see how it goes .... I will really stir and make sure the marshmallows are all melted ... thanks so much for trying to help! I love CC!!!

iluvjay829 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:57am
post #10 of 14

I had this happen once to me too...when I used generic powdered sugar. Don't know if that's an issue for you, but it was a big pain! Good luck!

hwnhulahands Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:07am
post #11 of 14

Yes, it happens to me once in awhile but it happens with a certain brand flavoring that I use. It only happens the first time I open a new bottle and it only happens to the first batch with that bottle. Don't know. I'm confused myself. It just happened about two weeks ago with me so I am baffled by this as well. I don't think its the powdered sugar because it's jelly not dry, powdery stuff.

maimai16 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:30am
post #12 of 14

it also happened to me just recently. followed the direction but got this jelly lumps on my MMF... what i know is, i used a old marshmallow that i've ben keeping on my "baking cabinet" for 2 months or more... i THINK this cause the "jelly" on MMF's.

GI Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:49am
post #13 of 14

I used store brand of Marshmallows. And they were the little mini's. So wonder if Kraft has an extra oomph to their mallows that give them a jelly-when-melted.... hhmmmmm....

LadyPol Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:53am
post #14 of 14

maimai ~ the time before I wondered if it was because I used old marshmallows ... but Tuesday i used freshly purchased marshmallows (and our stores have stocked up due to Thanksgiving holiday) ... so I don't know what to think? I still had some jelly lumps tonight, but not as many as before ... it is so strange! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%