Black Fondant Help

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 3:32am by MacsMom

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:59am
post #1 of 9

does anyone know how to make black fondant? Or where to buy it? I am making a guitar cake and the majority of the cake needs to be black.

8 replies
Ruby2uesday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruby2uesday Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:06am
post #2 of 9

i use the True Black Fondant recipe here on the recipe forum. it's easy!, comes out great and tastes chocolatey!! YUMMY!!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6971-2-True-Black-MMF.html

IloveEmmaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveEmmaCakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:06am
post #3 of 9

The easiest way to make black fondant is to make chocolate fondant then add some black food coloring to that.

HTH

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:08am
post #4 of 9

I have done several big black cakes. My suggestion.. purchase it.

I make all my fondant but have vowed to only buy red and black. I dont know if it has to do with the humidity in my area.. but I have the worst luck with those two when making it myself.

I have made chocolate fondant (Michelle Fosters Recipe) then added the black... that seemed to do much better as I didnt have to add as much black.

Good luck

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:08am
post #5 of 9

Chocolate pettinice and black food color, I assume any chocolate fondant will work tho.
good Luck

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:12am
post #6 of 9

i buy satin ice fondant and just use black paste food coloring. Fondant seems to color much easier than buttercream in my opinion!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:18am
post #7 of 9

Black Satin Ice is the way to go!

cakesbydina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbydina Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:23am
post #8 of 9

wow thanks for all the quick reponses. I have a few avenues to try with all of the variety of suggestions for black fondant. I think I will buy it but i still want to try making the MMF sometime. I am not sure if I believe I can manage homemade fondant as I am new to fondant.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:32am
post #9 of 9

I once gave up on making black MMF but finally gave it another shot after being unhappy with SI and Fondarific.

Actually, I loved Fondarific for covering a cake, but it was too soft to make accents, even when adding gumpaste. SI is just too dry and matte.

I bought black powdered food color and added it to MMF before adding the PS (the whole jar). It turned gray but I didn't need to use so much black food coloring to get it dark enough, so my MMF came out beautifully.

I had tried using cocoa powder and it just got gooey. I hated the texture. But the powdered food color worked well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%