Black Fondant Help

Decorating By cakesbydina Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 6:22pm by lecrn

cakesbydina Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:59am
post #1 of 9

does anyone know how to make black fondant? Or where to buy it? I am making a guitar cake and the majority of the cake needs to be black.

8 replies
sari66 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:07am
post #2 of 9

You can buy it from intotheoven or globalsugarart
If you need to make it start with chocolate fondant first then add black

sgauta Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 9

I just made some last night for the first time. I made chocolate MMF and added black coloring to it. It took a lot of kneading, but I got it pretty dark!

TheDomesticDiva Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 9

I'd recommend just buying it if you have the budget for it. You'll save tons of time and frustration in the end!

tracycakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 9

You just need to add a LOT of black paste color - I like Americolor. It will make it really soft so you'll need to add some powdered sugar also. It's fine it you are only making a relatively small amount. If you are making enough to say, cover a cake, you can buy black Satin Ice. I've bought it from Global Sugar Art and was really pleased with it. It was much easier than making my own.

CheriN Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 9

Hey there! What I do is add some cocoa powder to the fondant before I add the icing sugar so that it is still wet and then after it is brown I add some black paste and then stir that in with a spoon... then I add the icing sugar and I have never had trouble with it not being dark enough... as long as the liquid is black it should stay black... I hope that helps you! Also, if you are making MMF then sometimes I seperate the melted marshmallows to add different colors and then knead in the icing sugar to the different colors until it becomes fondant. icon_smile.gif Does that make sense?

BlueDevil Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:02pm
post #7 of 9

You can buy it from SatinIce. Failing that, if you have an airbrush you can paint it blue then black for a really inky, dark black...

indydebi Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 9

fondant newbie here .... I would buy it, if you can. If not, I colored my own on the film reel cake. Started with white fondant (I used choco-pan) and added black coloring. Use plastic gloves while you knead it!!!!! I was surprised at how much black I didn't have to use and it mixed pretty well. I also made it the day before so it had time to set and darken a bit.

lecrn Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 9

You probably just want to buy it. Just make sure that you add the extra charge on the cake price. I buy black Satin Ice from Into the Oven. The flavor is vanilla. Or you could make choc. MMF & add black color to it. Do they want chocolate? It takes A LOT of black color to make white fondant black & it makes your fondant sticker.

Quote by @%username% on %date%