Madagascar 2 Theme?

Decorating By kel58 Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 4:21am by Michelle104

kel58  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:47am
post #1 of 9

I got a request for a madagascar 2 themed birthday cake. She would like a 9x13 sheet cake using cream cheese icing. I'm just not sure that I can do the characters justice making them with BC. So maybe use toys? Any ideas would be very very helpful! Thanks everyone!
Kelly

8 replies
 kimmypooh79  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:12am
post #2 of 9

I would say use toys or an edible image.

kel58 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 9

is there somewhere that I can buy the edible image?

kimmypooh79  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 9

Check with your local bakeries, I got mine from Wal-Mart for $5. I took a photo in, they scanned it, then printed it for me. They won't print out licensed images though unless it is something that they already sell.

chefbarbie0513  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 9

Does the cake have to be a sheet cake? I just delivered this Madagascar cake on Friday. The birthday girl had her party at the movie for the opening of madagscar 2. I bought the toys off of ebay. You should be able to get toys in the store with the new movie being out. I used pretezles for the trees with Royal icing as the top of the trees. Nilla waffers as the sand.
LL

kel58 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 12:55am
post #6 of 9

unfortunatly yes, it does have to be a sheet cake. Im not really sure why this customer always wants a 9x13. I thought for sure that I would be able to find Madagascar toys since the movie came out but i was at walmart and zellers today and nothing!! Luckily I just chacked me mail and the lady im making the cake for is going to supply me some toys to use. I guess her kids have been collecting them from McDonalds. I thought it would be work out nice that she supplies them so that I dont have to raise my quote on her cake or eat into my profit. Your madagascar cake looks fantastic by the way!

SugarBakerz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:22am
post #7 of 9

kel they have them at McDonalds for the happy meals... or you can pay a buck or so each and buy them without the meals.. I do this a lot... instead of ordering my own big meal I order a kids meal and save the toys for toppers... so far I have the zebra and lion, if you can't get them in your area let me know and I will help if I can!

SugarBakerz  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 1:24am
post #8 of 9

oh ok I see you realize they had them at mcd's.. I did a jungle theme cake a few months back that was very easy, you could do something like it 1/2 and 1/2 on a sheet... should looke pretty cool if you did like a squiggly dividing line down the sheet... just a thought!

Michelle104  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:21am
post #9 of 9

I did one last weekend and I bought an airplane from Walmart's bakery for $5 from the new movie. I did half the cake like the jungle sort of and the other half like the desert with an oasis. On the jungle half I did a volcano too. You could do something like that and just use the characters that you get from your customer. There's a pic in my photos. I'm taking the kids to see this movie tomorrow after school.....I can't wait! So excited!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%