Rice Crispy Treat Molding

Decorating By alewop Updated 2 Aug 2014 , 4:17am by shebrakes

alewop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alewop Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 23

Hi! I am attempting to mold a 3-D figure of scooby doo out of rice crispy treats to go along with a cake that i am making. He will be about 10" tall scooby to tower over a regular 9" 2 layer round cake. I need some advice and thoughts on if my idea would work before i do a trial run. I wanted to mold the rice crispy, then cover it with chocolate, and then add a fondant covering and for all the details. Should i use a harding chocolate or chocolate icing? or is there another method i should use for helping fondant stay on rice crispy treat? Also, i read in another post that i should use 1/2 the butter a normal rice crispy treat recipe calls for...is this right?

Thanks so much! icon_biggrin.gif

Angela
LL

22 replies
cynpilsan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cynpilsan Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 23

I would use chocolate candy clay or 1/2 fondant & 1/2 candy clay mixed together. Much better taste! I made a large football out of krispy treat just a regular recipe. I covered it in candy clay & got rave reviews.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:16am
post #3 of 23

It's a great drawing! I also think that you should combine chocolate candy clay for flavor, since your Scooby will be eaten and not just for decoration. Let us know how it turns out!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:04am
post #4 of 23

i would use very little butter in the RKT recipe... just enough to help melt the mm... good luck!

maimai16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maimai16 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:38am
post #5 of 23

butter in RKT recipe? the tutorial that i saw doesn't calls for a butter... do you guys think this would work?

here's the link of the tutorial that i'm going to follow though i'll be making hello kitty topper. http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/HowTo-Elmo.pdf

alewop Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:35am
post #6 of 23

yea! thanks so much the the advice you guys...i really think im gonna need a cakecentral.com rehab and i've only been on here for two days. i love this!

Does any craft store carry chocolate clay?

Also maimai16, i will try all the options with my experimental day (reg. butter, 1/2 butter, and no butter) and can let you know which is better as a heads up for your hello kitty. The elmo they did was adorable. Good luck on yours too! thanks!

maimai16 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:09am
post #7 of 23

thanks alewop... i'll be watching out for the results of your experiment icon_biggrin.gif

cynpilsan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cynpilsan Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 10:38am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewop

Does any craft store carry chocolate clay?

14 oz candymelts & 1/3 cup light corn syrup. Melt candy ...stir in syrup..it will "seize"...sorta flatten out on wax paper letting it rest over night on the counter and TADA..you have chocolate clay!
You can find the recipe at Wilton .com. I do not adjust my krispy treat recipe..it works out fine.

alewop Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 23

Sorry it has taken me a min. to get back to this post. But I ended up using the regular rice crispy treat recipe with all the butter for my scooby doo and he held up great! I started molding scooby as soon as i got the rice crispy treat made. Just dumped it out of the pot onto some wax paper and started shaping his head. Then I wrapped him in wax paper and sayran wrap and stuck him in the freezer for about 30 min. to an hr. It def. firmed him up. But if your using candy clay you want the rice crispy treat to be room temp otherwise it will harden the candy clay to be unworkable (guess how i learned that? opps!) Btw, i love candy clay! Although i thought it was gonna be impossible to knead once i let it sit over night, all it took was a little body warmth of the hand and it was soo easy to use!!! thanks again everyone for your extreme help! here's a pic of the final cake that was a huge success for a scooby doo lover's 21st bday icon_smile.gif
LL
LL
LL
LL

alewop Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 5:17pm
post #10 of 23

oops! sorry about the pic...i thought the attachment wasnt working....instead it added it like 5 times icon_razz.gif

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 23

that is unelievable! Awesome!

I kept reading "candy clay"...what is it and what would it be used for in this scenario? A sub for icing??? Something to mix in with the RKT???

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 7:48pm
post #12 of 23

absolutely stunning.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 8:07pm
post #13 of 23

just like you planned in your drawing, it came out awesome and thanks for sharing what you did, that helps us all.

SILVERCAT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SILVERCAT Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 9:24pm
post #14 of 23

AWESOME, work!

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:57am
post #15 of 23

What a fantastic job. I love it.

maimai16 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 5:37am
post #16 of 23

nice job alewop icon_smile.gif

do you think reg RK will still be manageable even if without butter (just RK & melted marshmallows)?

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 Nov 2008 , 11:51pm
post #17 of 23

Someone on here had suggested using store bought rice krispy treats for molding and they worked great for me. . They're cheap and if you go to sam's even cheaper.

Takes a little needing or a few seconds in the microwave if they are too stiff but I love them.
I hate cleaning up after home made ones.

maimai16 Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 7:43am
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by alewop

Also maimai16, i will try all the options with my experimental day (reg. butter, 1/2 butter, and no butter) and can let you know which is better as a heads up for your hello kitty. The elmo they did was adorable. Good luck on yours too! thanks!

job well done alewop icon_biggrin.gif

anyways, what happened with your experiment? which is better, reg. butter, 1/2 butter or no butter? were you able to do the experiment? icon_smile.gif

sillywabits, so if i'm using store bought RK, i'll just need to mix it with the melted marshmallows? sorry for the dumb question icon_biggrin.gif

gales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gales Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 8:10am
post #19 of 23

Can I get equivalent items in Britain so that I can start trying my hand at sculpting. Candy clay, candy melts and made up rice crispie treats are not items I've seen over here. Thankyou for reading, look forward to a respose

Petya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petya Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:59am
post #20 of 23

What a wonderful cake!

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 2:05am
post #21 of 23

I've made candy clay several times, can you make this same thing with white chocolate chips? Thanks everyone!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 1:33am
post #22 of 23

What a fantastic looking cake! It looks just like your sketch!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

shebrakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebrakes Posted 2 Aug 2014 , 4:17am
post #23 of 23

So cute...=)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%