Pattern Press For Scrollwork?

Decorating By hettrk6 Updated 18 Nov 2008 , 10:49pm by Rocketgirl899

hettrk6 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 13

I have seen many cakes with beautiful scrollwork on the sides. I KNOW it can't possibly be done so perfectly freehand. Are there any other presses available on the market other than the ones offered by Wilton? I have that set and would like something nicer, kinda more "scrolly-er"!

12 replies
stephaniescakenj Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 13

I just found clear acrylic scrollwork stamps at michael's for scrapbooking. I used them to make an impression on fondant, then I traced it in RI. it's not perfect and I had to do a bit freehand but it worked pretty well. this cake is for a competition so I haven't even contemplated whether or not its food safe though since it won't be eaten.

KoryAK Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 13

Hate to tell you, but a lot of that may be freehand icon_smile.gif (I know mine is)

cylstrial Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 13

Someone on CC gave me a great website. www.designerstencils.com. But there are lots of other stencils out on the web. =o)

galliesway Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:25am
post #5 of 13

impression mats perhaps.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:40am
post #6 of 13

I am working on how to make a RI stamp... pretty much just pipe RI onto a clear platic and let dry, then stamp and trace... I will make a tutorial when I get it done.. the cake is for the 15th.. and I am trying it out hopefully this weekend. I will post a link 4 you... if i get it to work icon_smile.gif

stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:44am
post #7 of 13

Rocketgirl899, that's a great idea!!! Can't wait to see it.

Frankyola Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:00am
post #8 of 13

Super idea Rocketgirl899, like stephaniescakenj said I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:22pm
post #9 of 13

I use the wilton presses and just exaggerate them when I want bigger/better scrolls. The cake I'm delivering today is freehanded, but I'd never be able to freehand it without past experience on scroll-shapes via the presses.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 13

I'd love to take credit, but I saw the technique on Food Network Simpson Cake challenge... it was from "Cake Girls."

I can't really find more information...so I am experimentingicon_smile.gif

marknelliesmum Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 13

KoryAK is your 'painted vine' cake seriously done freehand? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I couldn't even do that with a pencil never mind a piping bag icon_eek.gif - me and piping bags/nozzles are in marriage councelling at the moment icon_lol.gif we don't really get on but I live in hope that one day my hands will be able to make them do what my brain is asking them to do. I so wish I could pipe beautifully. I'm embarassed to say I was so proud to have managed a reasonably good RI shell border last night but hey ho, I suppose I have to start somewhere.
Sorry for rambling but piping makes me nervous icon_lol.gif

KoryAK Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:12am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmum

KoryAK is your 'painted vine' cake seriously done freehand? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I couldn't even do that with a pencil never mind a piping bag icon_eek.gif - me and piping bags/nozzles are in marriage councelling at the moment icon_lol.gif we don't really get on but I live in hope that one day my hands will be able to make them do what my brain is asking them to do. I so wish I could pipe beautifully. I'm embarassed to say I was so proud to have managed a reasonably good RI shell border last night but hey ho, I suppose I have to start somewhere.
Sorry for rambling but piping makes me nervous icon_lol.gif

Yeah, it is freehand icon_smile.gif The trick is to go FAST and then any little hiccups that happen just need to get worked into the design.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 10:49pm
post #13 of 13

Sorry, here is the link! I totally spaced on this thread icon_smile.gif

good luck

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-609974.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%