Homemade Ice Cream Question

Decorating By adawndria Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 8:20pm by cakedout

adawndria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adawndria Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 3

Hi There--

I have some whole milk left in the fridge and want to make ice cream out of it before it expires (we don't drink it). Now for my silly question, if I'm using a non-cooked ice cream base, does the ice cream expire when the milk does? I suspect it doesn't simply because store bought ice cream doesn't have an expiration date, but it does have a lot of other preservatives in it. If I used a cooked custard ice cream base, do I avoid the expired milk issue?

Thanks!
Adawndria

2 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 3

either way you'll be fine... I mean with homemade ice cream you don't want to store it for a very long time since, as you said, it's lacking preservatives, but as long as it's stored well (in an airtight container with plastic wrap pressed directly on the surface) it won't be a problem. Again, I would eat it in short order though. No because of the milk issue (that's a non-issue) but because the quality will suffer after more than a few days.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 3

are you kidding me? icon_eek.gif Homemade ice cream doesn't last too long in my house, so there is absolutely NO issue with expired milk dates or declining quality!!! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%