Need Stacked Cake

Baking By lm499 Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 3:11pm by kokopuff

lm499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lm499 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 15

I need a 10',8' and 6 inch double stacked and one of my 10 and 6 inch are too soft. I forgot to add two extra eggs to the batter!!! I'm afraid that if I stack them they will fall or sink just collaspe! What do I do? will cake boards in the middle help or should i just start over?

14 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 15

I personally would start over .... sorry icon_sad.gif

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 15

Yes,I agree start over! I had this problem when I first started making cakes agin after I had given it up for a few years,anyway I had made my brothers wedding cake and even before the ceremony it started falling apart.We had to put it back together with toothpicks!It tasted great though.It is discouraging watching all those hours of hard work crumble before your very eyes! icon_cry.gif

brannendeville Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brannendeville Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 15

I am sorry I can't answer your questions but i have one of my own. icon_redface.gif

When you stack cakes you need to add extra eggs? how many for what size cake?

Beaches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beaches Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:39pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brannendeville

I am sorry I can't answer your questions but i have one of my own. icon_redface.gif

When you stack cakes you need to add extra eggs? how many for what size cake?

I didn't know this either!!!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 15

I would rebake, you don't want to risk it falling apart.
Sorry, but good luck!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 15

I would say start over as well. As for adding extra eggs for stacking... I do not do that and have never heard of such before. I follow my recipes regardless of whether they will be stacked or not. i think the OP meant she forgot to add two eggs to her batter...

snooz27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snooz27 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 15

If you add extra egg to the batter it makes the cake more dense. I also add a box of instant pudding to the mix as well. And a little less oil. You just have to experiment a little.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:19am
post #9 of 15

I've never added extra eggs to my cakes either, but if I'm supposed to then oops. I think if you use cake boards and good support system then you should be fine without rebaking. However if your belly feels like its got butterflies over the worry, then rebake. It will at least make you feel better. Good Luck!

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:42am
post #10 of 15

Ok!! I am sorry but I have another ???? since the WASC is so moist can be stacked? If I use good suport between layers?

pinkbox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbox Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:05am
post #11 of 15

I use the WASC all the time without any problems. Ive used dowels and now currently use the bubble tea straws... and if its a big cake... both haha.

If structured correctly each tier should have the brunt of the weight on the supports and not on the cake itself. icon_smile.gif

Good luck

kokopuff Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:51am
post #12 of 15

Now I have a few questions.What are bubble tea straws?And what does wasc stand for? icon_confused.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:43am
post #13 of 15

bubble tea straws are fat, heavy duty straws. I use them too and I got them on ebay... as for WASC, white almond sour cream cake. It's in the recipe section...Very Popular! it is the only cake I make from a mix and I love it, I do replace the almond extract with rum extract though, I'm afraid of nut allergies.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:04am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooz27

If you add extra egg to the batter it makes the cake more dense. I also add a box of instant pudding to the mix as well. And a little less oil. You just have to experiment a little.

I experiment when cooking. icon_lol.gif

I take baking (using a reliable formula/recipe) very seriously a la Rose Levy Beranbaum: "Bakers are born, not made. We are exacting people who delight in submitting ourselves to rules and formulas if it means achieving repeatable perfection."

Baking and Baking Science:

http://www.bakingandbakingscience.com/Cakes.htm

Role of (Basic) Ingredients in Baking:

http://www.joyofbaking.com/BasicIngredients.html

Always use cake or BLEACHED AP flour for baking:
(Have to scroll down.)

http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/

More than you ever wanted to know (technical terms) about what determines "cake texture/structure":

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-4784873-.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st tiered/stacked/layer cake:
(Has cake and frosting recipes and SO much more.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

HTH

kokopuff Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:11pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you for answering my questions so quickly!Do these straws resemble reg.straws except they are larger or are they more like the dowel rods?Also has anyone every used the plastic dowel rods?If you have do you think they are better than the wooden ones or not?I have been doing cakes for a few years and have just began to branch out to do wedding cakes and I am quickly learning that I still have a lot to learn! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%