Questions About Mmf

Decorating By drowninginfondant Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 2:32am by drowninginfondant

drowninginfondant Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 6

I am making the Circus Cake that a friend pick out off of CC (which is how I found out about CC) and it is very detailed. I need to do some of the fondant cutouts early but I don't want them to hardened. Any suggestions? Also, do any of you ever refrigerate or freeze MMF? I am somewhat confused about what you can and cannot do with MMF. Thanks.

5 replies
cylstrial Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 6

You can't refrigerate or freeze fondant or MMF. If you want to keep it for a while just rub crisco all over it. Put saran wrap on it and then stick it in a ziplock bag. It will keep for a couple of weeks. If it's too hard after a couple of weeks and you want to reuse it, you can put it in the microwave to soften it up. Just becareful because someone on here got burned very badly. It heats up quickly. So don't leave it in long at all. I'm talking like 10 -20 seconds at the most. (20 seconds if it's a lot).

You can't cut out MMF super early because it does dry up. If you need to do it for a little while you could just cut out what you need to and then put it under some saran wrap. But it won't stay good for long.

What if you made all the little things you need to do a few days before you make the cake? That way you don't have to worry about the MMF drying out.

Goodluck!

KimAZ Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 6

I just wanted to add that you can put MMF in the fridge once it's on the cake. Just not for storing the big wad of it after it's made.

KimAZ

UltimateCakes Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the heads up KimAZ!

brannendeville Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 6

Just from personal experience I put the MMF in the fridge and used it 3 days later with out a problem.

I just warmed in on 50%for about 15 seconds

drowninginfondant Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:32am
post #6 of 6

Thanks to all who answered. I have made most of my characters that will not be eaten days ago but I have pink overlays that will be on the main cake that will be eaten so I wasn't sure what to do. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%