Help Please - Fondant Details Drooped (After Covering Cake).

Decorating By dessert1st Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 3:48am by kakeladi

dessert1st Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 9

When I finished this cake at midnight last night, all of the fins and the tail were still upright. I placed it in the cake box and covered the top with Saran Wrap. When I woke up this morning all of the fins & tail had gone limp and were drooped straight down. They were made out of Fondant with Gumpaste added. In the photo they are propped up with toothpicks!

What did I do Wrong? TIA.

I was inspired by a cake posted here, but I can't seem to find it again to that the poster. Sorry, I will do that as soon as I find it. Guess I should have asked them for some tips, huh?

8 replies
PinkZiab Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 9

In future, make your fins and such ahead of time and allow them to dry... but great job overall.

millermom Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 9

Fondant will soften again if it gets moist or sits against BC. If you use gumpaste, or mix fondant with gumpaste, you should have better luck. icon_smile.gif

dessert1st Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:03am
post #4 of 9

Whoops, (sorry) I forgot to say that I did dry them well before adding them to the cake - for 2 days in fact. I agree that they are getting moisture from somewhere under the Saran Wrap (the cake itself or the buttercream layer),,,, but I see other pictures of cakes with fondant details that look fine and aren't drooping. What are they doing differently? I did add gumpaste to the fondant in an attempt to avoid the problem but it sure didn't work. Anyone else?

kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:27am
post #5 of 9

The problem is you covered the top w/plastic wrap. This allowed all the moisture in the fondant & cake to be absorbed by the dry fondant. Fondant should never be covered w/plastic wrap *unless* you *want* it to stay moist and not dry out.

dessert1st Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:35am
post #6 of 9

Thanks Kaleladi, that's what I was wondering about. What do you do when you have to transport a cake? I don't want my friends to think they're eating something that hasn't been protected from dust & germs.

Also, what if you put it in the fridge? To cover, or not to cover? Sorry for all the questions, I still have lots to learn.

dessert1st Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:38am
post #7 of 9

Thanks Kaleladi, that's what I was wondering about. What do you do when you have to transport a cake? I don't want my friends to think they're eating something that hasn't been protected from dust & germs.

Also, what if you put it in the fridge? To cover, or not to cover? Sorry for all the questions, I still have lots to learn.

leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:43am
post #8 of 9

There's no reason to put a cake in the refrigerator unless it has a perishable filling. And if I deliver, I dont' box. the cake is gong to sit out on display anyway. If a customer picks up a cake, then I box.

kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:48am
post #9 of 9

Exactly what leahs saidicon_smile.gif If I am delivering a wedding cake it never is boxed or covered.
I make sure I vacuum my car and put down a clean sheet - don't have pets & don't smoke so I see no reason to box each tier and assemble each and evey cake. When I was delivering 3 to 6 wedding cakes a wknd I wouldn't have time to box, deliver, and assemble each one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%