Lots Of Questions About Fondant And Rice Krispy Molding

Decorating By TNugs Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 7:07am by JanH

TNugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TNugs Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 3

I'm planning to do a farm animal theme for my son's first birthday. When I made a cake for my other son's birthday the MMF looked shiny and would look wet when i was working on it. Even after the cake was done it looked shiny. What causes this? What am I doing wrong? I might make fondant animals so i want to make sure i do it right this time.

Also if I work on the animals a few days ahead, i should be OK if I cover tightly with plastic wrap right?

Finally - anyone know how to mold rice krispy treats into animals? I thought it would be reall cool to maybe make a cake and then have a big pony laying on top of it with its leg sprawled out like his stuffed animal. Is this a crazy idea?

Thanks!

2 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 3

Are you using crisco on your work surface and hands when making your animals out of fondant? If so that could be the reason they are so shiney. Try dusting them with some powdered sugar to get rid of the shine. After you make them then will be fine, wrapped or not, for weeks.

If you want to make your horse out of RKT then only use half the butter the recipe calls for, and after you mold it put it in the fridge to set.

Good luck.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:07am
post #3 of 3

Everything you ever wanted to know about making and modeling RKT's:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-2376311-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%