First Fondant - Need Tips And Advice

Decorating By digitalmuse66 Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 7:00am by JanH

digitalmuse66 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 3

I am planning on doing birthday cakes covered with fondant - to look like presents (fondant bow, ribbons and streamers) and the cake itself to be covered in fondant.

I have never used fondant before, have been researching around on the net and have seen an overwhelming response of "use satin ice" and am planning to do just that.

What I was hoping for is any tips, including links to working with fondant (covering a cake, rolling it out, making ribbons & bows) that anyone here would like to share. i have seen a few tutorials online and have saved them for future reference.

Sidebar - if anyone here is in the NYC area can you tell me if NY Cake in manhattan carries Satin Ice fondant? Need to know if i have to wind up ordering it

Second Sidebar - would like to use chocolate fondant - anyone have eny experiences with that they would like to share I would appreciate that as well.

FYI - i actually took wilton decorating classes eons ago and went as far as tiered cake construction so I do have a background in decoration just have been doing buttercream solely up to now.

Thanks In Advance !!! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

2 replies
goldenegg Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 3

I'm pretty new to fondant myself but i do know this, you can save some money and taste buds by making your own marshmallow fondant (MMF). That is what i have been doing, it's real simple to make, cheap and tasty too. I used a video off youtube (not sure if i can post links here) and it came out perfect my first time, use gel colors to color it whatever you want. As for the bows & stuff you can add Tylose powder to the fondant to stiffen it up a little for shaping and it dries quicker, you can prob find that in nyc pretty easy but i had to order mine from global sugar art dot com. Amazon dot com has it as well. Hope that helps a little.

JanH Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 7:00am
post #3 of 3

Hi and Welcome to CC, digitalmuse66. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

Everything you ever wanted to know about making your 1st stacked/tiered/layer cake:

The above link has info on making and using fondant and so much more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%