Bottom Out

Decorating By allfabulous Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 5:45pm by glendaleAZ

allfabulous Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 6

why do my cakes keep falling? I used a box cake mix and made it right to the direction as given. pre heat oven maybe added a little more water then called for (1tbs). 350 oven. 30 -35 min this might be my problem! cale pan was 8" sq. What did i do wrong?

5 replies
stsapph Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 6

Normally if a cake falls, it means it wasn't baked long enough. I would try baking just a few more minutes. I normally judge my cakes by how far they have pulled from the pan, and haven't had any problems since I started doing this. As long as the sides have pulled away from the sides a little bit, about 1/8 of an inch or so, you should be ok. Hopefully others will have advice as well! HTH

kimmypooh79 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:07am
post #3 of 6

The temp on the box is more of a suggestion. I bake mine longer at 325 because my oven cooks hot.

kakeladi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 6

Sq cakes do take a bit longer to bake than round ones.
I agree w/the other posters - I thing you just didn't bake it long enough. Time and temps are just guides; don't rely on them being exact.
Use your nose to tell if a cake is baked enougicon_smile.gif By that I mean when you can smell it all over the kitchen/house it should be done. Use a toothpick pushed into the middle of the cake; if it comes out clean (or almost; a few crumbs clinging are o.k. - you will be able to tell if it is wet) it is done.
Don't let the cake sit in the oven once it tests done. The longer it is in heat the dryer it will be icon_sad.gif

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:57pm
post #5 of 6

I use baking strips and some use an upside down flower nail. This helps the cake bake more evenly .... the sides won't bake faster than the center, helping the whole cake get done at the same time.

Agree on the reduced heat. When I baked at home, I baked at 325.

glendaleAZ Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 6

Hi allfabulous,

I totally agree with kakeladi â¦
I never even look at the recommended time on the cake box or recipe. I always let my nose tell me when the cake is done, or almost. I use a toothpicks to test the cake for doneness, and pull the cake from the oven when I have a few crumbs sticking to the toothpick, as this gives me a moister cake. I bake at 350 degrees.

Tammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%