Annoying Cake Order....need To Vent

Business By bekahzzz Updated 18 Nov 2008 , 3:12pm by bekahzzz

bekahzzz Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 7

I work at a Bakery and we pretty much do a little bit of everything even its not our regular stuff. I'm usually the one doing the cake decorating. A call came from a woman who is the friend of a bride. She is looking for a simple three tiered cake with ivory icing. They are putting fresh flowers on it so no decoration is needed beyond the border. She says she's just pricing places and how much would this cost? Could the bride come in later to look at a sketch? I said its a pretty simple cake but I guess I could do a sketch if she needed to see it. (BTW the wedding was 3 weeks away)

SO I didn't hear anything for a week and this monday another friend of bride comes in and wants to order the cake. I have the info sheet i made when talking to the other friend and ask her if thats what she wants. She says I guess so...and basically doesn't know anything and says she will call back after talking with the bride.

Two days later I come in and my coworkers say the bride has been calling to talk about the cake. She now says she wants swag decoration and raspberry filling....not the cake I quoted them for. The bride also complained I wasn't there to talk to her and that she HAD to go to work and couldn't call back at the time i was scheduled to work.

I'm so frustrated that this woman has the nerve to be mad at me. This is a business and I'm there when I'm scheduled and that is MY work, she needs to get her info straight. I'm half tempted to call and cancel the cake due to lack of information. I can just see her complaining later when its not what she had in mind.

Sorry its so long...just mad!!

6 replies
just_for_fun Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 7

It sounds like she doesn't really want a cake! She remembers 3 wks before the wedding, sends 2 different friends, can't make time to talk to you, and can't make up her mind about the design. Tell her someone else booked the day, she did not give a deposit!

CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 7

People just don't get it, and watch she'll probably want the extra decorations and filling for the price you orginally qouted for the simple cake. How dare you not schedule your day around her icon_razz.gif

bekahzzz Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 7

Thats what I think too....the second I get her on the phone she is going to start demanding things. I wish I could deal with it myself but I'll likely have to hand it off to the owner.

I can't wait to go in today and see what other surprises have popped up!

I've gotten lots of calls at the bakery for wedding cake weeks before the date. It always baffles me. I mean its not like they didn't know they were getting hitched....they couldn't all be shotgun weddings???

bchristianson17 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 7

Well, if you've seen Bridezilla then you know that brides expect the whole 1+ of time planning should be alllllll about them. True, they are getting married, but sometimes they seem to forget all the class, manners, and tact that they once had. I would tell her that brides often make appoints 6+ months before their wedding date and you don't have enough time as other brides have already booked. She might be a lil angry with you, but its not your job to cover for a bride that doesn't plan her wedding very well. Don't let it get to ya if she's upset.

CoutureCake Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 7

Sounds fun... Yea, give this one to the owner to hash out so you don't have to do anything other than decorate the cake. Yea, someone who is having that many issues with the indecisiveness is either someone who wanted to DIY the cake but found out she's not going to have the time or she's just not interested in cake and expects the world to bend over backwards for her to let her have the cake she wants and somehow you're suppose to adjust your working schedule so that she can talk eto you. It's somewhat rare in the real world for brides to actually get to talk to the decorator unless the decorator is numero uno.

By letting the owner take care of this order it's a lot easier for her to say "this cake is this price, that cake is this new price" and let her make the choice. Sometimes the easier you are to work with even with pricing for proper compensation will satisfy a neurotic bride to know she's going to get what she wants and that it'll all be taken care of in a professional manner.

Don't stress, just say "I'd be happy to make the swags and the raspberry filling, your grand total for that design is going to be $$$"...

bekahzzz Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 7

I had the ownertake care of this order. It turns out when she finally spoke to the bride it was for 20-25 ppl and she only wanted 2 tiers, with dotted swags and flowers flowing off the sides and whipped raspberry filling. I was pretty shocked how much her friends had it wrong. I'm glad I made a stink about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%