What Do You Do When You Or Your Family Is Sick...?

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 5:41pm by Rocketgirl899

sweetcravings Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 15

As cold, and flu season are quickly approaching i started thinking about how you all handle your cake, cookie orders when you are sick or if your kids get so sick they need lots of attention?
I guess i just think back to a few years ago when i was really sick for a few weeks in the winter..i was in bed and miserable. Thank goodness i wasn't selling my cakes/cookies then and i was able to tend to getting better. Then last week my son came down with really bad hives for days, and required close attention (thankfully i had no order that week).
So what do you all do if this happens? Do you just suck it up and do it? Do you cancel the order?I would imagine customers would get wicked mad if you cancelled.
Presently i just do this out of the home and was thinking of selling cookies over the holidays, but i worry about the 'what if's' all the time. I don't really know other decorators in the area so having someone else to fall back on really isn't an option. I know my DH would step up, but lord knows what the end result would look like. icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
eatdessert1st Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:26pm
post #2 of 15

I'm in the same situation as you... baking from home. I've had to actually cancel a few orders in the last several yrs when I or my kids got really ill. Fortunately, I was able to give the customer plenty of time to make other arrangements. In hindsight, I should have given them a discount on future orders for the inconvenience but at the time I was too frazzled to think. They were very understanding. I worry about the last minute illnesses, though. I wouldn't want an ill decorator laboring over my order icon_razz.gif

Mel Mc.

amazinggracecakedesigns Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 15

I also have my business in my home and about 2 weeks
ago, I had a spell with my back due to a car wreck
10 years ago. I have 3 degenerated discs and 2
buldging discs. I was in severe pain but I had a 3 tier
wedding cake due. I sat at the table in a wheelchair
and with my husband's help, I decorated that cake,
a groom's cake, and an order of 50 cheesecake delights.
It wasn't easy but I was determined. I managed to
deliver and set up the table for the wedding the next
day. It is funny what you can do even when you
are sick. It is not an easy business to be in especially
when you have kids. But the love of cake decorating
keeps you doing it. icon_biggrin.gif

mandysue Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 15

DH can take care of sick kids...in my experience, they still want mommy, but sometimes you just have to close off the kitchen and just pretend you aren't there. However, if you are sick, especially of the vomiting variety, you are probably not going to be able to do that cake. I can only think of one time when I was too sick to do anything else, but it was short-lived and I probably could have completed an order if I had to, with the help of antibacterial soap, plastic gloves and a face mask! It's the same as any other job...sometimes tragedy strikes when you are needed the most. Life goes on!

CakesByJen2 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 15

I have been fortunate that we haven't had any serious illness or injuries at a time I had orders booked. I had the flu once, but I didn't have any orders for that two weeks, though it was right after a bridal show and I had to reschedule several consultations. I fell off a ladder while painting and injured my arm, but we had just moved and I had not booked any orders around that time because of the move. Only one time have I canceled an order. That was because my daughter and I had been exposed to 5th disease (relatively harmless for most people, but deadly for a fetus) and I had an order for a baby shower, and the customer who ordered the cake was pregnant herself, and I just didn't want to take any chances. They were very understanding.

If it were just a cold or something non-contagious, I'd just tough it out. BUt for any type of stomach bug or more serious, I'd cancel.

indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:57pm
post #6 of 15

If you can, set up a partnership with another decorator to be each other's backup in case of emergency like this. I can think of 2-3 people right now that I know would jump in and help me out if I needed them to. A couple of weeks ago, I was able to help out a friend ("competitor") when his decorator quit 6 days before a wedding cake was due. Or at least be able to give the client the name of a decorator/bakery they can contact.

Mike1394 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:06am
post #7 of 15

You suck it up, and go to work.

Mike

jammjenks Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:19am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandysue

DH can take care of sick kids...in my experience, they still want mommy, but sometimes you just have to close off the kitchen and just pretend you aren't there. However, if you are sick, especially of the vomiting variety, you are probably not going to be able to do that cake. I can only think of one time when I was too sick to do anything else, but it was short-lived and I probably could have completed an order if I had to, with the help of antibacterial soap, plastic gloves and a face mask! It's the same as any other job...sometimes tragedy strikes when you are needed the most. Life goes on!

I second this!

bettinashoe Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:32am
post #9 of 15

Cake decorating is just like any other job (in my opinion). Unless you or your family is desperately ill you just have to struggle through. I wasn't feeling well when I was doing an order last week. I worked really carefully. wore disposable gloves when I could and went to work on two cakes that I had people waiting on.

leah_s Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:49am
post #10 of 15

I just power through. If I've been prepaid, I must deliver the product.

sweetcravings Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks for sharing your input everyone. I would never just cancel something for a minor ache or cough but i guess I was thinking more along the lines of things like the flu or stomach virus etc...I can't imagine throwing up one minute and decorating a cake the next..my nightmare. I hope that never comes up when i have something due. I agree with the one member who stated they wouldn't want to eat something made by a person very ill. We have a women in town who makes cake and everytime i see her she is coughing horribly..likely a smokers cough..that's enough to turn my stomach. I don't think i would ever order a cake from her for that reason. Maybe i'm being a germ-a-phobic but bleck..that cough sounds gross. Oh well, i will take every precaution, get my flu shot and pray for the best. ;0)

bettinashoe Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 15

You're funny, sweetcravings. Your phobias are one of the main reasons I do my own cooking/baking and why I make everything from scratch. I look at people cooking/serving in many food establishments and can do such a mental trip on myself that I can't even eat. At least I know when I'm making a cake everything is a clean as it can be, my hands are washed as much as possible (too much), I protect the product when I'm not feeling well and will do all I can to ensure it is the best quality that I can give. I'm just so paranoid about those types of things.

bethola Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:31pm
post #13 of 15

Okay, as a retired nurse turned church adminstrator and SOMETIMES a paid cake decorator. If I'm SURE I can avoid infecting someone by the use of gloves and mask (and I've done this) and I am physically able to do so, I finish the order. If there is a question in my mind at all....I cancel. I think clients appreciate that you don't want to "share" with them and well then there's the HEALTH DEPARTMENT issues!

Beyond that...I agree with indydebi on this one!

Beth in KY

indydebi Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:41pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethola

...and well then there's the HEALTH DEPARTMENT issues!

Yep! Any vomiting or diarrhea (sp?) and the person is not suppose to even be in the kitchen. The business is required (!) to send that person home. Commercial or home kitchen, the same standards should be applied.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:41pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

You suck it up, and go to work.

Mike

oh Mike.. sorry just made me smile.

If you suck it up make sure you are even more careful with washing hands, not touching face... all that good stuff icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%