Permian Basin/ West Texas Decorators

Decorating By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 22 May 2009 , 5:41pm by Lineah

martmarg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
martmarg Posted 14 Jan 2009 , 9:44pm
post #181 of 229

Oh I know how hard it is to abstain from eating. We went to our parents house on Xmas for 1 wk. in South TX. Well, needless to say I ate everything under the son. We would go to Mexico and eat all the yummy stuff there and buy tripa and chicharron tacos pretty much on a daily basis. And of course, menudo, tamales and all the the traditional mexican fatty foods. I'm still having fat withdrawals. It's been so hard to stop eating. I decided to munch on a pear right now but I really want choc cake with a fudgy frosting.

And believe it or not , I'm not much of a gambler. It doesn't really entertain me. I know boring. I just don't like losing my hard earned money.

Anyway, I know we'll have fun.

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:00pm
post #182 of 229

hey everyone! well gee i hadn't ckd this post in forever cuz i thought we were doing most contact in myspace, hehe. i am fine with fort stockon. i have never been there or even know how to get there, but i lived in dallas so i am sure i can manage, lol!! i tell you what i got lost so much over there it wasn't even near funny. anyways so i am good with that location.
hope everyone is doing fantastic. sorry to hear you were sick kim.

Angela icon_smile.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:07pm
post #183 of 229

What time is good for everyone?

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 21 Jan 2009 , 10:19pm
post #184 of 229

anytime is good with me. icon_biggrin.gif

colabear71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
colabear71 Posted 22 Jan 2009 , 9:21pm
post #185 of 229

Anytime is fine...maybe early afternoon??

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #186 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Well, I have no idea where anything is at so I'll just have to rely on other El Pasoans to let me know how far. Is anyone from El Paso willing to carpool? Will this need to be an overnight thing or a day trip?

I'm estimating FS is about 4 hours from EP, based on a quick look at a map. It is about the same distance from EP as Odessa, and I remember it being a 4 hour drive to get to Odessa. It can be a day trip, or an overnight one, depending on what time everything starts, ends, and how up to driving another 4 hours you are. icon_lol.gif I'd be willing to carpool with you, however at the moment I'm still not totally sure I'll be going. I will not have a definite answer on that till around mid next week. Gotta wait and see what DH's work schedule is gonna be like. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anytime after noon is good for me! thumbs_up.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:27pm
post #187 of 229

What about 2 pm?

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 3:47pm
post #188 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanibird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Well, I have no idea where anything is at so I'll just have to rely on other El Pasoans to let me know how far. Is anyone from El Paso willing to carpool? Will this need to be an overnight thing or a day trip?

I'm estimating FS is about 4 hours from EP, based on a quick look at a map. It is about the same distance from EP as Odessa, and I remember it being a 4 hour drive to get to Odessa. It can be a day trip, or an overnight one, depending on what time everything starts, ends, and how up to driving another 4 hours you are. icon_lol.gif I'd be willing to carpool with you, however at the moment I'm still not totally sure I'll be going. I will not have a definite answer on that till around mid next week. Gotta wait and see what DH's work schedule is gonna be like. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anytime after noon is good for me! thumbs_up.gif

Me either. I have my 3 year old twins with me all day during the week, so it'll be rough to get out there then. What are we going to dicuss/do?

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #189 of 229

I am open for ideas. I thought maybe BC and some of our secrets. Also perhaps smoothing or cake board decorating. What else?

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 4:11am
post #190 of 229

Alright everyone. We are on for Saturday January 31st @ 2pm. PM/ email me and I will email/ pm address, directions, and contact info. I am SO looking forward to meeting everyone!

BTW- we are discussing cake boards and what else??? Sorry...I got sucked into the Officially Embarrassing thread.

Tita9499 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:09pm
post #191 of 229

Does anyone in the EL Paso area (or surrounding areas) know where I can find hi-ratio shortening (by this Friday)?

lanibird Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:39pm
post #192 of 229

Tita - there is an Economy Cash and Carry on Paisano that, according to their website, has cake and icing shortening, which I am assuming it is the high ratio. But it looks like it is in 50lb containers, and I'm not recognizing either brand. Here is the link to their website. http://www.economycashcarry.com/ I've never been there, but DH went for me once, and said it was like a huge Sams or something.

There is a place up in Las Cruces, Create A Cake, http://www.yourcreateacake.com/ I haven't been there either icon_redface.gif but I remember emailing her a couple years ago on if she carried hi-ratio and she said they were working on it. HTH

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I've been a bit disappointed by the cake shops here and do most of my shopping online.

Two other places in town you might have luck with I've managed to find some things I need at both these places, sometimes :

Gallery of Flowers on Trawood: http://www.yellowpages.com/info-LMS57683538/Gallery-of-Flowers-Wedding-Cake-Supplies/maps?back_to=/name/El-Paso-TX/cake%3F

And a place called Grafton Cake Supplies at 1222 McRae (little shopping center near I-10) (915) 591-0852

Tita9499 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 6:44pm
post #193 of 229

Thanks Lanibird! Grafton's sucks! I think. I went in there and I didn't want to touch anything! I just found it to be very run down. I too am disappointed with the cake decorating choices in EL paso. I've never heard of tha cash and carry but I'm willing to try it. Are they open to the public or do you have to have a business?
I was thinking of going to Las cruces, but that drive is crazy for a few supplies. I like to do all of my shopping online too, but I need this like ASAP!

Thanks for the quick reply!

waterlily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
waterlily Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:14pm
post #194 of 229

Hello everyone! Seems that everything has been set for a meeting. I wish I could make it! keep us posted on how it goes and when we can expect the next one.

Tita and lanibird- The Economy Cash and Carry store has a lot of great things used in baking and decorating in my opinion. You will find cake pans, cake mix, flour, sugar, spatulas, icing colors and other things. I have used the shortening that lanibird was talking about and personally I love it. I also think that the prices are reasonable. I've been there only once and I loves it!

lanibird Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:15pm
post #195 of 229

I live out in the Far East, so I know about the drive to Cruces! icon_lol.gif my sister lives there, so I usually just ask her to check there for me, which is why I've never been to that shop. icon_lol.gif

Yes, the cash and carry is open to the public.

lanibird Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:22pm
post #196 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlily

Tita and lanibird- The Economy Cash and Carry store has a lot of great things used in baking and decorating in my opinion. You will find cake pans, cake mix, flour, sugar, spatulas, icing colors and other things. I have used the shortening that lanibird was talking about and personally I love it. I also think that the prices are reasonable. I've been there only once and I loves it!

I sold pies and such over Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I sent DH there to get the plastic domes to put them in, and he was on the phone with me for, like, 30 min, just walking up and down the isles telling me everything they have! icon_lol.gif I do need to go there and look around myself. I agree on the prices too. The box of 100 count domes was around $50. Not bad at all.

waterlily Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:23pm
post #197 of 229

Lanibird, you are always so helpful by sharing your research with us!!

THANK YOU!!!

tita-I planned on actually going there today. Don't know if I will get around to it but if I do it will be around 4 this afternoon.

waterlily Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:31pm
post #198 of 229

ok going to change the subject, but lanibird you mentioned you make pies. I was wondering if you make strawberry rubarb(sp) pies. I had someone ask me if I knew of anyone and I didn't at the time.

Tita9499 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #199 of 229

I just called and they said they won't have the icing shortening until friday! I need it before friday! HELP!!

waterlily Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:52pm
post #200 of 229

How much do you need?

lanibird Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 7:58pm
post #201 of 229

Tita - Did you try the place in Cruces yet? What other places did you call here in town? I know there are still a couple other places here in town, but every time I've called the person who answered the phone didn't speak english, and I barely speak spanish icon_redface.gif

waterlily - You are welcome, just happy to help when I can. As for the strawberry rhubard pie, I want to, I just haven't found a recipe I like yet.

Tita9499 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:13pm
post #202 of 229

I speak Spanish and I still speak to them in English because when I called instead of asking me if I speak Spanish, they just transferred me to someone else. No, "hold on" or anything, just click!
Anyway, I can't get out to Las Cruces because we only have 1 car and my hubby takes it to work. I need 6 cups. I was wondering if I could use a substitute for hi-ratio. Sharon from Sugarshack said I can use a trans fat shortening so maybe that'll do. Anyone have a good, smooth buttercream recipe? The one I make is too expensive to serve to strangers (that sounds mean but it's true). This cake is for a potluck.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:20pm
post #203 of 229

Hey Tita, I use the Great Value shortening from Wal-Mart. It HAS trans-fat in it. I also use Viva BC recipe from here. Be sure to use HOT liquid with it to get better results.

lanibird Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 8:20pm
post #204 of 229

I'm an SMBC convert, so I haven't tried this, but a lot of people like indydebi's bc:
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-0-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Tita9499 Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 9:00pm
post #205 of 229

Okay, thank you both for your suggestions. Sweetheart of a gal that she is, Waterlily is even offering to give me some of hers.

I've also heard that Bettercream is the real deal as far as taste is concerned. Does anyone in El Paso know if there's a store that sells it?

lanibird Posted 26 Jan 2009 , 10:49pm
post #206 of 229

Glad to hear your got your hi-ratio! icon_biggrin.gif

That cash and carry might carry it, I never thought to ask DH to look. I've seen it mentioned that it can be found at SOME Super Wal-Marts, near the Cool Whip (I think). I'm a Target girl so I've yet to check this out. I think Melvira once said you can try asking the bakery counter at Sam's, and they might sell it to you there.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 3:55am
post #207 of 229

REMINDER!

Cake club meeting:
Date: Saturday January 31st
Where: Fort Stockton
Time: 2pm
Drinks and snacks will be available

On the agenda:
Meet and greet
Cake board tutorial
(and whatever else we want icon_lol.gif )

If you have questions or need help with directions (landmarks etc) let me know!!! I look forward to meeting and talking with everyone!

Let me know if you can make it!

lanibird Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #208 of 229

Live the new avatar Diana! icon_biggrin.gif

Unfortunately, count me out. icon_sad.gif DH sold a pool yesterday (yay! we've really been struggling since the economy tanked), so he will have to work Saturday. *sigh* Such is life for small business owners. icon_rolleyes.gif

Here's hoping for the next one!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:14pm
post #209 of 229

lanibird, I am sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it. I am happy that he sold a pool tho! icon_biggrin.gif YAY! Sometimes you gotta take it where you can get it! Here's hoping for more pools selling! party.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 28 Jan 2009 , 5:17pm
post #210 of 229

Has anyone heard from or seen jjandhope? they haven't posted since November and am worried bout'em

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%