Mary Kay Frosting Looks Like Cottage Cheese-- Help!

Decorating By shigo Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 1:11pm by ThreeDGirlie

shigo Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:14am
post #1 of 9

Please, please help me.

My Mary Kay frosting adamantly refuses to come together. It looks like cottage cheese (watery and lumpy) no matter how long I whip it. It's raining here today and pretty humid, is that the problem? What can I do? I'm thinking of adding 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar OR 1 tablespoon piping gel. Do you think this is a good idea?

Here's the recipe, by the way, it's from the Cake Central Vault:

Mary Kay Icing

1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole milk
3/4 c. white vegetable shortening, such as Crisco
1 c. sugar
1/3 c. butter, softened
2 tsp. vanilla

8 replies
Shamitha Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:31am
post #2 of 9

I tried this recipe & it came out perfect.Did you mix the milk & flour well until there are no lumps before cooking it?

shigo Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:36am
post #3 of 9

Yup, I did. It was smooth and lump free. I also made this recipe before and it was perfect! But not today. (sniff) What can I do to 'repair' it? Can I add something to it? I really need your expertise because I don't know what to do. It's for a shower party tomorrow.

sayhellojana Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:39am
post #4 of 9

I made a cooked flour/milk icing twice. The first batch I had to throw out because it was too lumpy. The second batch, I didn't cook the flour and milk quite as long and it came out much better. (but I still prefer IMBC - I'm a loyal girl icon_smile.gif)

Shamitha Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:41am
post #5 of 9

I'm sorry, I don't know how to help you "repair" it . I would suggest you start all over. Maybe someone else can help.

shigo Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:49am
post #6 of 9

Here are some pictures:

Mike1394 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:33am
post #7 of 9

When you creamed the butter, and shortening was it fluffy, and whiteish in color? I would squish on of the lil lumps to find out what it was. If it was because the flour wasn't absorbed it will still have some dry flour in it. I would think it was the creaming stage though.

shigo Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 9

I tried adding Dream Whip to it (I ended up adding 1/4 Cup ++) ---- didn't woek.
I tried adding powdered sugar, about 4 tbsps. total ---- didn't work, either.
I tried whipping it some more ---- didn't work.
Nothing's working.

I snapped. I just slapped the frosting on the cake and hoped for the best. Stuck it in the fridege and thankfully, it hardened enough. Didn't slide off the cake or anything like that although it looked like it was going to. Overall, the cake was a hit. The theme of the cake was Hawaiin so the watery/lumpy consistency of the frosting sort of fit it hehe. No one noticed icon_smile.gif

ThreeDGirlie Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 9

My grandma's "whipped cream icing" (which really isn't) is a cooked cornstarch/milk icing and I have made it all of my life.. If you overcook, or don't stir CONSTANTLY, you will get little galetenous lumps that won't go away.

If that's the case, there is nothing you can do but pitch it and start again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%