Teapot Cake

Decorating By LUNDI Updated 19 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm by Loucinda

LUNDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LUNDI Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:17am
post #1 of 21

I WANT TO MAKE A 3-D TEAPOT CAKE FOR MY DAUGHTERS 4TH BIRTHDAY. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY ADVICE ON WHAT I SHOULD USE TO MAKE IT LOOK REAL? I WAS THNKING OF USING AN OVEN SAFE BOWL TO BAKE THE TOP AND THEN A ROUND 8 INCH AS THE BASE. ANY IDEAS?

20 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:09am
post #2 of 21
knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:28am
post #3 of 21

I actually just did one of these about a month ago. I used a small oven safe bowl for the top and a 6" bottom. The lid and spout were made from RKT. The handle was fondant. There is a pic of in my photos, if you are interested in seeing it. Good luck!

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:38am
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by knel

I actually just did one of these about a month ago. I used a small oven safe bowl for the top and a 6" bottom. The lid and spout were made from RKT. The handle was fondant. There is a pic of in my photos, if you are interested in seeing it. Good luck!

What a great tea pot. I love that.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 21

JanH -- Thank you so much for all the links! I loved the Canadian Living teapot! I've been wanting to try one of these too and these instructions make it seem do-able!
Thanks again!!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 21

knel, I LOVE your teapot! The RKT idea would be perfect... I did gumpaste for the spout/handle on my 1st teapot cake and the spout kept falling off cus it was so heavy icon_cry.gif I'll definitely use RKT next chance I get.

Mel Mc.

knel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knel Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 21

Thanks, that is the very reason why I did RKT. It was a heavier spout to begin with, and the RKT worked perfectly. It traveled an hour or so, and never budged. I did stick a cookie stick down through the spout into the cake.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:56am
post #8 of 21

I made mine to look like a tea set my mil had given me, I made a 2 layer 6" cake for the teapot, a cupcake for the teacup and then candy clay for the accessories. lol-I forgot until I had just finished the cake that I wanted to make steam curls, had to whip them up real quick and they hardened while I cleaned up a bit icon_biggrin.gif I used lollipop sticks to keep everything sticking into the cake and toothpicks for the teacup handle.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1211574

cylstrial Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 21

Serious cakes -- I like how you even have tea dripping out of the spout! Too cute!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 21

Thank you! You know you're the first person to notice that? icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:15pm
post #11 of 21

Lindy Smith has a book "Decorate the Cake" with a teapot cake complete with instructions.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 21

I made a teapot cake (see in my photos). I made the teapot out of styrofoam, covered it with fondant, and placed it on a round one tier cake (sort of like a table). I think the mother was relieved that it was easy to cut & serve. The b-day girl also got something to keep.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:11pm
post #13 of 21

LUNDI, I really recommend looking at some pictures of real teapots. Look at the last link that JanH gave. In order for a teapot to look "real" the design of the spout needs to look like it could really pour. The spout starts out quite wide and near the bottom, then thins as it swoops up nearly to the top. It is designed so you could pour out most of the contents without turning it up so far. Most spouts I see on cakes are way too small and too high up on the side. Good Luck, I know you will do a great job.
LL

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:14pm
post #14 of 21

Dynee those are amazing teapots!! Great shapes!! I've been looking and looking but Jacques Pastries took his teapot cake off the site (icon_cry.gif). It was an amazing cake made from an 8 inch round and done in buttercream with gumpaste handle and spout. If anyone remembers that cake (with the pink roses) and I'd love to see it again. I'm thinking this cake was inspired by that one: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=178603

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:33pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Dynee those are amazing teapots!! Great shapes!! I've been looking and looking but Jacques Pastries took his teapot cake off the site (icon_cry.gif). It was an amazing cake made from an 8 inch round and done in buttercream with gumpaste handle and spout. If anyone remembers that cake (with the pink roses) and I'd love to see it again. I'm thinking this cake was inspired by that one: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=178603

I can't even get the site to open for Jacques!

bobwonderbuns Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:50pm
post #16 of 21
alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 9 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #17 of 21

Thanks for the great links. I want to make a teapot cake so bad now!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 21

Here's one I kept from jacquespastries. Is it the one you're looking for?
LL

bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Jan 2009 , 9:07pm
post #19 of 21

That's the cake I was referring to!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Posted 11 Jan 2009 , 5:54pm
post #20 of 21

That is sooo cute! And just made with a regular cake! Thanks for sharing!!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Jan 2009 , 5:36pm
post #21 of 21

I have made several teapot cakes (see my photos) I prefer the "realistic" looking ones. I use the wilton ball pan to make mine, and gumpaste/fondant for the handle & spout. Don't make the spout or handle too big, that ruins the look, IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%