Smoothing Cream Cheese Icing...

Decorating By tonia3604 Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 5:39am by aztomcat

tonia3604 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonia3604 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:14am
post #1 of 18

Can you smooth a crusting cream cheese icing as well as you can buttercream?

17 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:58am
post #2 of 18

I wouldn't see why not...I hear Earlene's is a good one.

Edited to add...It's late, I'm tired and I have no experience with crusting cc so I really shouldn't have responded. Sorry! icon_redface.gif

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:21am
post #3 of 18

I would love to hear responses to this.

I am to the point of not icing cakes with CC icing. (Only use as filling)

I have used so many recipes and can't really get a smooth finish.

So I am all ears! (Or eyes lol) icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:33am
post #4 of 18

I'm interested in the feedback to this question too!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:54am
post #5 of 18

I use a crusting cream cheese with meringue powder in it. The recipe I use is listed here. I then smooth it with the melvira method.

Here are a few examples:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1123023

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1123083

You have to have a firm cream cheese icing for this.

Dee in AZ

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:05am
post #6 of 18

Dee,

I can't believe you didn't give them the link...lol icon_razz.gif I bless the day that I found your recipe, and sing it's praises at every opportunity! icon_biggrin.gif It's the best cream cheese frosting every created for decorators!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6817-Wedding---Crusting-Cream-Cheese-Frosting.html

Thank YOU! thumbs_up.gif
Pat B.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:23am
post #7 of 18

It's 1:00 am and I couldn't sleep due to "cake on the brain", and here's the perfect thread for that cake! My standby CC icing calls for 1# butter, 1# PS and 1 pkg. CC. Can't for the life of me remember if it crusts, especially since it's always on a carrot cake that has a cover on it. Question for those who've used Dee's recipe: does this one have a good, recognizable cream cheese flavor? Does it work with all butter in stead of shortening? (ok, that's two questions) TIA

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 7:49am
post #8 of 18

i found cream cheese is much more easier to smooth, than buttercream (i used all butter BC).

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 18

I too use all butter buttercream and find cream cheese buttercream very easy to smooth. I use white chocolate cream cheese buttercream and it works great

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 18

To me, it smooths just as easy as my regular BC. I just sub out some of the crisco with cream cheese. It crusts fine. I can still Melvira it.

Amy729 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 18

mclaren & momma,

would you be willing to share your recipes?

and debi, how much to do sub for your recipe?

Thanks!
Amy

mkcraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcraig Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:45pm
post #12 of 18

I like the Decorator's Cream Cheese Icing recipe here on CC:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4153-Decorators-Cream-Cheese-Frosting.html

It tastes good and can defintely be smoothed well. I did this cake with it and smoothed with the paint roller method.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1163420

- Mindy

Amy729 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 18

I don't know why, but it just seems "sticky" to me. I can't get it on smooth enough to even viva.

My regular bc is silky smooth and viva's great. Any tips?

TX!

Amy

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:59pm
post #14 of 18

I'm with you Amy.....I had a terrible time smoothing with cc icing. It was definitely sticky, and crusted fairly fast too, so smoothing well was out of the question for me. I'm surprised to see how many actually think it's easier than bc since a few weeks ago when I posted something about having so much trouble with cc icing, practically everyone agreed! The recipe I used did have butter in it and the taste was awesome, but I won't be using that one again for decorating with!

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:40pm
post #15 of 18

I use a butter/cream cheese buttercream recipe and I find it very easy to smooth. It is 1 stick butter 4oz. cream cheese 2 cups shortening 2lbs. powder sugar. This is what I always use and I love it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:56pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy729

Thanks!
Amy

Amy, Amy, Amy .... when are you guys gonna remember that i don't measure anything? icon_lol.gif "Until it looks (or tastes) right". Doesn't taste cream-cheesy enough? Add more. Too sticky? Add more sugar. too thick? Add more milk. Of course sometimes I end up with a really big batch! icon_biggrin.gif

I am SO useless on questions like this. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:41pm
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy729

mclaren & momma,

would you be willing to share your recipes?

Thanks!
Amy

white choc cream cheese bc

1 stick butter soft
1.5 pkgs (12oz) soft cream cheese
1 bag white choc chips
1 lb confectioners sugar

Cream butter and cream cheese in mixer. while thats going on I melt the choc chips over a double boiler. once melted I let cool slightly and then drizzle in the mixer whith the cream cheese and butter. Mix until nice and creamy (not too fast or air bubbles become a problem). I then add 1 pound of confec sugar. The taste is great and it works good with the viva method.

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:39am
post #18 of 18

Pat B,

Thanks for your kind words. I love that recipe for Crusting Cream Cheese....I originally used it for a wedding cake, but its requested all the time.

So yum, yummy.
dee icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%