Rct & Fondant Figures?

Decorating By lmnettles Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 4:04am by CakeMommyTX

lmnettles Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:42am
post #1 of 4

I've secretly been sulking around the website for awhile and I finally got the motivation to try making a RCT figure covered in fondant and it didn't turn out so hot. Any advice, tips, or pointing out where I went wrong would be great! Thanks so much in advance.

Here's what I did.
Microwaved packaged RCT and molded into shape
Froze RCT to let harden
Covered in BC
Stuck back in freezer to let set
Took out of freezer and covered in fondant
Decorated
Let sit out to dry
after i finished and set the figure out to dry the fondant starting sweating, now it has stopped but I've noticed little cracks in it. It's alos very squishy and pliable so I can't put the head on because I'll crush it.

Any tips? Thanks again! icon_redface.gif

3 replies
JanH Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:49am
post #2 of 4

Here's a how to for a fondant covered Elmo:

http://www.cakescanada.com/HowTo/HowTo-Elmo.pdf

Please note that their Rice Krispy Treats recipe doesn't contain butter... (Also, I wouldn't freeze the RKT's.)

Everything you ever wanted to know about RKT's:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2376311-.html

HTH
[/i]

Cookie4 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:52am
post #3 of 4

Hi and welcome to Cake Central. I've never used packaged RCT, only made my own. When it's at room temp (or I can handle it) I shape. I roll a thick piece of fondant and cover the shape - no buttercream, no freezer and no refrigerator. I haven't had any problems with the stucture holding or cracking in the fondant.

What happened to you was that the freezer created a lot of moisture in the RCT because they are not very dense, then the addition of the moisture from the buttercream (more moisture), and finally refrigeration - even more moisture. That's what did you in.

So, my suggestion is keep it at room temp and leave out that buttercream and your product will be perfect. Good luck and post your pictures so we can all share in your excitement!

CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:04am
post #4 of 4

I use home made RKT and I omit the butter and add vanilla almond bark (cheaper then candy melts and white chocolate). I mold when it is warm , and then let it sit out to set up. The almond bark dries hard and holds everything together. I've even heard of some coating their RKT sculptures in white chocolate to "cement" the shape.
Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%