Bridal Shower Cake - Burnt Orange/dark Purple Colors .. Help

Decorating By jcaste Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 4:39pm by panchanewjersey

jcaste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcaste Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:47am
post #1 of 7

Ok so the color theme is a burnt orange & dark purple. I want to use those same colors for the bridal shower cake but how do i get such dark colors like that. The burnt orange will be on fondant & dark purple will be BC. ANyone have any suggestions??

6 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure if they sell burnt orange fondant..but you could try! That would definitely be the easist thing to do! And for the dark purple buttercream, you could buy the Rich's bettercreme or brill buttercream icing packs (if they have them in that color).. if not, I'd say your on your own and will have to mix the color in. If you decide to do that, put a lot of purple in!!

You might just want to play around with a small amount of buttercream and fondant and see how long it takes you to get those colors and how much color it takes as well. Goodluck!

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:50pm
post #3 of 7

im not sure about the burnt orange color, but i've mixed some bergandy(sp)? and violet together to get a dark purple color. you can buy both those color gels at micheals or hobby lobby. im interested in how to get the burnt orange color also,so hopefully someone else can help you out with that.

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 7

To color your fondant burnt orange, Cake Craft puts out an October orange and Copper colors. If you mix those it should come lcose. Just make sure you add the color to your melted MM before you mix in the PS. Thats if you are making MMF. Hope it helps! icon_smile.gif

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 7

I made a Clemson football helmet this week. It had a dark purple color in it. My purples always turn to a light blue color. This time I put milk in my icing and it stayed a dark purple color. The helmet is in my photos. I hope this helps.

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 7

I've also done burnt orange using Wilton orange and some Copper, which deepens the orange color. You might also want to brush on some luster dusts to give some shading. A tiny amount of black also deepens colors like purple.

Here's a cake with burnt orange: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1258975

turtle -- thanks for the tip to use milk to keep purples dark! thumbs_up.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 7

I've would put a few drops of 1/4 brown 3/4 orange to et the burnt orange color. Give it a try but start with orange first and slowly add brown, alternating until you've reached your color shade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%