Hint If Use Pastry Bags And Need To Flood Big Area With Ri

Baking By TracyLH Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 3:45pm by AgentCakeBaker

TracyLH Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:44am
post #1 of 16

Hi Ladies,

Okay, I am a pastry bag gal and I just finished flooding 4 1/2" rounds and came up with a idea that really helped me. I know many of you likely already thought of this, but for those who didn't, it sure helped me!

Rather than using a #4 or #5 to flood a big, open area as I usually do, I used a #45. It is horizonal and has a skinny opening (kind of like a basketweave tip without the grooves). It filled in quickly without adding too much icing and I was done in record time! Whoo hoo!

I just thought I would post this in case it helps someone else! I know others spoon the icing on or use squeeze bottles, but if anyone out there is a pastry bag gal like myself, it might be worth a try!

Try not to laugh too hard if this is a well known hint and I never knew! icon_lol.gif

15 replies
Amia Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:46am
post #2 of 16

I didn't know that tip, so no laughing over here! TFS! I want to try covering my boards with RI, so this tip is very useful to me! thumbs_up.gif

SILVERCAT Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:20am
post #3 of 16

I just use a disposable bag and cut as much off as needed! Thanks for sharing!

shiney Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:59am
post #4 of 16

Tracy, don't count us squeeze bottle gals out so quick. I just looked at my little kit, and I do have a #45 Yipee...Can just put it on like our other tips!
Thanks for the info! I was trying to be clever and put a big round on, like a #10 and 11....May as well have just taken off the top and poured the whole flipp'n bottle on at once!

TracyLH Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 16

Hi Shiney - Cool! Obviously I am not versed in the squeeze bottle techinque! I too tried a large round and "Oops!" Way too much icing - too deep! Glad this idea works for the squeeze bottle idea too. I am sure others will have great ideas to add as well. icon_biggrin.gif

JenWhitlock Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 16

icon_rolleyes.gif
having one of those "duh" moments!
GREAT, GREAT, GREAT idea, TFS!

zoraya Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 16

great idea! i could have used this last night, TFS!

SweetDreamsAT Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 16

Tracy, you are a genius! Like JenWhitlock, I'm sitting here and saying "duh." I've given this a lot of thought, ruled out the #12 because of what Shiney described icon_lol.gif , but I like the control that having a tip gives, which I didn't feel when I tried cutting the bag w/o a tip. So... I'm digging out my 45!!! I may just have to give you a commission on the time you will save me by sharing your discovery! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif
Thank you, thank you, thank you Tracy - you rock!!!

TracyLH Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 16

You'e welcome! When I tried it I did a "Duh! Why didn't I think if this before!". I was almost dancing around the kitchen (causing the family to think that mom has lost her mind!). I was so excited that I just had to pass it on! One step closer to making these cookies less time-intensive! icon_biggrin.gif

shiney Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 16

If I can just add, Just Do It! Last night (before reading tracy's post) I was squeezing, squeezing out of a too-small tip to flood because I was in a hurry and didn't want to transfer icing into a different bottle that could accommodate a tip. Today my wrist is feeling the pain. And I'm a court reporter, that's not a good thing. icon_cry.gif

shiney Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:17am
post #11 of 16

Tracy: Tired it, loved it, Woop, Woop, Woop!!

Schmulie65 Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks Tracy for the hint about tip 45, I'll have to try it. I'm a squeeze bottle gal. I just thought I'd add an additional tip as well...
My mom bought me the squeeze bottle kit from Pampered Chef as a gift. It comes with three squeeze bottles that are accordian shaped and interchangeable tips. I really didn't think that I would be able to use these, however, I noticed that Wilton tips fit these bottles too. The accordian shape allows you to squeeze from the bottom with very little effort. I will have to try tip 45 on the bottle and see what happens. I'm not sure how much the squeeze bottle kit costs, but it might be nice to put on your holiday wish list.

Schmulie

shiney Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:41am
post #13 of 16

schmulie, Great timing! My SIL had a PC party in another town, and the squeeze bottles and micro scraper were the only two things she thought I might be able to use for my cookies....I'm excited to try it. Wonder how easy it will be to clean up, with the accordian shape.

Schmulie65 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:59pm
post #14 of 16

Shiney,

The PC bottle kit comes with a cleaning brush. They haven't been too bad to clean. I just soak them, rinse them out and put them in the dishwasher --not really sure if they are supposed to go in the dishwasher, but I haven't had a problem. Hope they work out for you! icon_smile.gif

Schmulie

OhioBaker Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:29pm
post #15 of 16

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try it myself. icon_lol.gif

AgentCakeBaker Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:45pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks for the tip! I feel so stupid now. I've always just clipped the very end of my parchment bag and took the hard way around finishing them.

I wish I would have read this before last weekend. I just made 9 dzn cookies in the last 4 days flooding a 4" round and my hand was killing me.

I know what to do now!!! Thanks so much!!!

Another tip I thought of after reading this was to thin the icing really good and use a pastry brush to spread the icing in 1 or 2 strokes!

Trying to make it as easy as possible!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%