How To Get This Look?

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 10:50pm by ThreeDGirlie

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:58am
post #1 of 16

What tool/cutter/punch do you use to get the look of the bear "coins" on this cake? I just love the way this looks, but I have never seen cutters this small.

TIA!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1193239

15 replies
bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:11am
post #2 of 16

I'm pretty sure that's just a paper punch from the craft store ~ they work great!

ThreeDGirlie Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:15am
post #3 of 16

Paper punch for fondat, really?

Do you need to let it dry a little first? Or add gum paste? Please do ell more!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:21am
post #4 of 16

Three D---

We just learned that you can use paper punchs recently. You can use gumpaste or fondant or a gumpaste/fondant combination. Just roll out the material to the thickness you want and punch away!

We can't wait to try it sometime!

Paul & Peter

ThreeDGirlie Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:25am
post #5 of 16

Awesome! I'm new to fondant - as in I made my first fondant (Michele Foster's) 2 weeks ago... This is so cool!

Thanks!

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:30am
post #6 of 16

Are you talking about a reg ole paper punch like for scrapbooking?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:45am
post #7 of 16

I have a cutter like that and I got it in the clay section.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:20am
post #8 of 16

Yes, the regular old scrapbooking, paper punching decorative paper punches. Just like with other materials: Buy new, dedicate to food, don't use with other mediums except your food.

Paul & Peter

sisita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sisita Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:45am
post #9 of 16

I agree with tiggy2.... it's a cutter from clay section... I have a lor of them... They are as cookie cutter ....

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:56am
post #10 of 16

I'm going with the paper punch !!

We have been using them a lot here in Australia ... I have done lots of the three joined holly leaves and just a normal 1-hole punch for the holly berries. Also have made some great butterflies using a paper punch as well. You just need to make sure your sugarpaste is thin enough to fit in.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:38pm
post #11 of 16

I thought that's what it looked like. I just didn't know that you could do that! AWESOME NEWS! Thanks!!

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:19pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks for the answers! I have bought some clay items to use for cakes but never the scrapbooking items ! Awesome!!!

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 7:38pm
post #13 of 16

Whilst on the subject of paper punches thought you might be interested in knowing how to make Edible Sequins-

You take sheets of leaf gelatine and paint with mixture of Decoraters Spirit and Hologram Disco Dust and let dry.

Then just use your 1 hole paper punch (just normal stationery type one) and punch out your "sequins" the remaining sheet maybe ground up in mortar and pestle or grinder and used as edible glitter

Lots of scrapbboking stuff can be used in cake decorating - the texture plates are great for embossing - the stylus used to emboss paper makes a great "stitching tool" - the stamps can be used on fondant and the embellishments are often good for making your own moulds.

ENJOY - and remember to always ... look outside the square !

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:02pm
post #14 of 16

You could private message the cake creator to find out for sure. They are soooo cute icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:13pm
post #15 of 16

sheets of leaf gelatine HUH ??? What is that? I know im probably being DUH! Sorry!

ThreeDGirlie Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 10:50pm
post #16 of 16

Well, I found small bear cutters at an on-line clay site that do the trick! They're Makin's brand and they come in a 3-pack of 1 3/4", 1" and 1/2" cutters - for 1.50! I don't have much for fondant, so I also got the mini cutter 3-packs in the stars, flowers and circles.

And I have to plug [url]theclaystore.com[/url], which is where I ordered these cutters. I placed my order Monday morning, they shipped via USPS that afternoon, and I got them in the mail today. I will definitely look there for future cutters and tools.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%