When To Torte?

Decorating By bprwatson Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 12:03am by JanetBme

bprwatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bprwatson Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 3

I've been asking a LOT of questions lately, thanks for all the advice and input. I have one more question and it may seem a little silly icon_razz.gif

I have never torted a big cake before, i wasn't going to do it (worried about having jagged uneven layers) but i just finished cooking my 10" rounds and decided what the heck i'll try it. It was surprisingly easy, so now i'm going to torte the rest of my layers. I'm trying to figure out when to pull my other layers out of the freezer, if i can torte them when they are frozen i'll pull them out tomorrow, if its a bad idea i'll pull them out tonight.

Do i need to defrost them?

2 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 3

The biggest issue with cutting while frozen is cutting yourself. They will thaw pretty quickly.

Mike

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:03am
post #3 of 3

If they've been frozen for more than a day- they will be harder than heck to torte... the outside thaws and presses in because you have to press so hard to get thru the frozen solid part. And as mike said, you cut yourself more! You have to press so hard to get thru the frozen that when it pops loose, the knife always flies toward whatever finger is closest!

It is easier to torte when they have just been in for a few hours..that way they are firm but not a solid block.

I like to torte when they are cool then put them in the freezer- then you can just stick the knife in and sorta pop them apart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%