Boat Cake Idea

Decorating By ahuvas Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 10:57am by ahuvas

ahuvas Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 7

Hi

My friend asked me to make a cake for her sons 1st birthday based on the design of the invitation and I said yes but now that I have seen the design im not sure what to do. It is simple enough but deep down I think its kind of ugly (Im not sure why - I know objectively there is nothing wrong with it). Anyone have any ideas on how to make an outstanding design based on this picture?
LL

6 replies
Amia Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:02am
post #2 of 7

Could you make a 3-D boat with gumpaste sails and leave out the ugly kid? icon_lol.gif That's all I can think of, because I'm with you...not a fan of the invite. icon_redface.gif

kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:20am
post #3 of 7

I'd do a frosting sheet pic of the invite and stand it up on top of the cake. Many of us have had to do designs/ color combos/ etc we didn't like to please a customer.

kimberlina25 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:18am
post #4 of 7

i have a cake in my photos that had a nautical theme with red/white perservers and a sailboat topper, you could do something similar, using the colors from the invite.

HTH

ahuvas Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:26am
post #5 of 7

Im doing it for free icon_smile.gif practice. She wanted to bu a hunk (literally - they are big sheets they cut off as much as you want) of sponge cake from a local bakery and decorate it. I volunteered because I did not think I could do anything worse. I was thinking about making a 3D version of the boat but wonder how to attach the sails to poles (skewers/whatever)?

rnp3603 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 3:35am
post #6 of 7

royal icing=superglue

ahuvas Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:57am
post #7 of 7

I havent had much luck with royal icing - i used it on cookies and it looked porous and not particularly strong. I could try anywy and make a few as backup.

Some quetions. I planned on using the football pan for the boat base (which would sit on a larger round pan) but it relatively large and the base would have to be enormous to make it all in proportion.

The Noah's ark cake (http://forum.cakecentral.com/article36-Noahs-Ark-Baby-Shower-Cake.html) uses the football pan (apparently) but the shape of the actual pan looks nothing like the shape in the photo. Im not overly confident with carving (i.e. the same shape on both sides and so on).

Does anyone have any idea how to make the boat shape? I dont want the base circle cake to be any larger than 11 or 12 inches so the boat will probably have to be 6 or 7 inches?

Also does anyone know what colour that red of the hull is in wilton or americolour?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%