Heavy Cake Topper. Help?!

Decorating By gtsweetepie Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 11:26pm by lapazlady

gtsweetepie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gtsweetepie Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 5

So, I'm making my first wedding cake in about 2 weeks and the topper the bride picked out weighs oh, about 4-5 pounds. I got the Wilton "floating" cake stand so I am not putting dowel rods in any of the cakes and the top tier is going to be a 3 layer 6 in chocolate cake frosted with butter cream. I have not had any success stacking cakes in the past and I am extremely worried about having to stick this cake topper on the top of the cake. I told her it may not be possible to get it on the top, but I really she really wants it on there. Does anyone have any tips on getting this to work? We were thinking of a PVC pipe to support the topper or pressing a cup into the cake and putting the topper on top of it. Do you have any other suggestions that you have tried and the work, or anything you advise not doing? I'm making a practice cake this weekend and any help would be VERY, VERY helpful. Thank you!

4 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 5

Just put dowels in the top tier so that way the topper will rest on the dowels and not the cake, I have had to do that before!

fem128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fem128 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 5

Definitely put dowels. They will support the weight of the topper.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 5

I set the topper on a cake board and outline the footprint of the topper on the cardboard and cut it out and cover it with something food safe and set that board on the dowel and the topper on the board.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 5

Do you have the topper in hand? If you do, you can play with the placement of the dowels. (This isn't required, by any means, but can reduce the stress on cake delivery day.) You'll do just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%