My Chicken

Lounge By TheCakerator Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 9:10pm by mkolmar

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 19

ok, so I forgot to take my frozen chicken breast tenderloins out of the freezer last night, so I took them out this morning ... and my dh put them in a tupperware container so he could put marinade over them .. well I just took them out to swish around the marinade AND THEY ARE STILL FROZEN! icon_eek.gif I'm not real sure what to do at this point ... I don't know if they will be thawed in time for dh to grill them but I don't think I should leave them on the counter, what do you all think?

p.s. I am not very smart in the actual "cooking" department!

18 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 19

I leave meat on the counter to thaw all the time. I know you aren't supposed to, but my mom and grandma did it every day, and we're all still alive. I don't leave it out after it's been thawed, but do leave it out to thaw.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 19

I worry about letting chicken thaw on the counter. If you can't thaw it in a microwave, then I would take the chicken out of the marinade, put it in a zip lock bag and push all the air out. Then put the bag in some hot water from the tap and let it set for about 10-15 minutes and let it finish thawing. Not too long though....it might start growing bacteria. After that I'd put the chicken back in the marinade, put it in the fridge and let it finish.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 19

oh geeze, now I don't know what to do! Leave it on the counter, put it in hot water? Eeeks!

jen1977 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 19

If you put it in hot water, it will start to cook the outside of the tenderloins. If you're going to put it in water, put it in cool water, or put it in a ziploc bag in a colander, and put that under running water.

jjkarm Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 19

Not water that hot....... icon_confused.gif My tap water isn't hot enough to cook anything.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 19

Actually, the safest way to thaw meat is in cold water (when you don't have time to let it thaw in the fridge, that is).

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/FactSheets/Big_Thaw/index.asp

jjkarm Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 19

Yes, you're right about the cold water. I just assumed she was in a hurry and didn't have time to thaw in cool water.

TheCakerator Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 19

well I'm not in a huge hurry, except dinner is usually in an hour .. I went ahead and pulled it out of the fridge and let the container sit on the counter ... I just checked and most of them seem to be thawing at a good pace .... thanks for all the help you guys!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 19

I cook frozen chicken breasts all of the time. If I have an hour or more, I'll put them in water in the sink. If I don't, I put them in the microwave on defrost and it never takes more than 8 minutes. You can grill frozen tenderloins also. Just make sure your fire is really low. I probably cook frozen chicken breast 3 or 4 times a week.

TheCakerator Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:13am
post #11 of 19

wow .. thats a lot of chicken! LOL we just started eating chicken on the grill because I am so scared of catching something from undercooked chicken, so I make sure our chicken is WELL done!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:49am
post #12 of 19

Holy bat poop Batman. Don't ever leave chicken or anything else for that matter out to thaw on a counter. After 20 minutes the food starts to break down forming bacteria that multiplies rapidly. The food may look and taste fine but it's not. You are actually food poisoning yourself. If you are a healthy person it really won't affect you too much. Have you ever had a stomach ache for no reason with no other symptoms that just went away....that's almost 100% of the time food poisoning. Now is someone is very young, old or just with a compromised immune system it could kill them. One of the leading causes of death for older people is actually food poisoning. Their systems are weaker and can't handle it. It's too bad that the media doesn't mention this though. Food poisoning can happen anytime from the moment the food was eaten to 7 days later.
I'm not saying this to sound preachy but I work in the food industry and this is a huge no-no.

Here are 2 other ways to thaw....

To properly thaw chicken you can place it into a plastic ziplock bag and put it into a clean sink with colder than luke warm water from the tap running constantly over it. Make sure that the sink is unplugged.
You can also thaw it on defrost in the microwave, but the chicken (meat or fish) has to be cooked right then at that moment, no holding it over to cook later.

Tracycakes is right about cooking frozen chicken. I do it too every now and then, it just takes longer though.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:24am
post #13 of 19

I was watching FN and Rachel Ray (pretty sure it was her anyways) said to cook your meat at room temp, that way it cooks evenly. So that would mean you would have to leave it out right?
But now that I think about it she was cooking steaks, but do you think the same goes for chicken?

mkolmar Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:42am
post #14 of 19

It only takes a bout 10 - 20 minutes if that for it to be room temp. I don't cook my meat/poultry/fish at room temp. I always take it straight from the fridge, season or do whatever application needs to be done then cook it. I don't see why room temp meat would make a difference. All it does is make the food that much closer to being in the food temp/time danger zone.

Meat/poultry and fish should never be left out at room temp for long periods of time. Even food that is at proper temp the whole time sitting out in heated chaffing dishes or pans staying cold with ice under them for 2-4 hours is completely all thrown away. If it has set out too long and by food safety laws should be tossed in the trash. This is for any type of food also.

*pick up a meat therm. to test your chicken and other items. It makes things so much easier. They are only like $6 to buy and will save you a lot of hassle. Just put it in till it reaches a small indent line on the therm. It needs to be placed in on a slight angle to where your not getting the temp. of the pan/grill but rather the internal temp. of the meat. This needs to be done on the thickest part of the meat/poultry/fish. Once the temp. holds for 5-10 seconds you know you have an accurate temp. of that product. Chicken is done at 165 degrees and pork is done at 145. If your chicken is really well done and kind of dry you have cooked it too long. It should be moist even at 165 degrees.
If you seriously want to improve in a kitchen pick up a meat therm. It makes a world of difference because you know when something is done rather than guessing, which usually increases how the food tastes also. (because it's not over or under cooked) *bonus tip- chicken that is cut and runs clear can still be under cooked, that is an old wives tale for checking to see if chicken is done*
Sorry, wrote a small book. I love cooking and get excited about it! (especially grilling and pastries)

TheCakerator Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:35pm
post #15 of 19

mkolmar, you have me scared out of my wits! I have actually had a full blown case of food poisoning and that was not fun at all! It took me a week to get to the drs but at that point I was so dehydrated from not being able to keep anything in me, I was practically crawling in with the help of my dh ... the dr listened to my stomach and said .... "sounds like the freeway" haha I still laugh when I think about it ... But you are right, food poisoning is not anything to joke around with ... I did let the chicken thaw on the counter and we grilled it up but now I'm as nervous as all get out that we are going to catch food poisoning again ... I hope we will be ok!

jen1977 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:39pm
post #16 of 19

I think you'll be fine. We don't do it often, but do do it, and never get belly aches from it. I wouldn't leave it out after it's thawed, but I honestly don't think it's going to kill you. I know what the health regs say, but I also know my mom used to plop it out before she left for work, and let it thaw all day til it was time to cook it, and all four of her kids are still alive and have never had food poisoning.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:05pm
post #17 of 19

I've always overcooked my pork, just be be safe...but I was watching Alton Brown and he said it is now safe to eat your pork chops medium rare just like steak? He said with all the health regulations and breeding and etc the pigs are healthy and the risk is lower with pork now then it was in the past. But the thought of eating anything but fully cooked pork creeps me out, now a steak is a differrent story, I like mine red in the center.

As far as the chicken goes, I've always thawed mine either in the fridge or under cold running water, and never had a problem. I did get food poisening once and it was not fun, but I got it from some pizza that was left out and I ate a slice in the middle of the night. I know stupid, but I have a serious night eating problem.
The other night I ate 1/2 a cherry cheesecake right out of the pan, half asleep with a spoon in one hand and the other hand holding up my head! With 4 kids it's the only time of the day (or night for that matter) I can eat uninterupted!

TheCakerator Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:42pm
post #18 of 19

thanks jen, that does make me feel better ... yourstrulytx, that is a funny story ... about the cheesecake, not the food poisoning!

mkolmar Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:10pm
post #19 of 19

I didn't mean to scare you, but I take food safety very seriously. Whenever I see posts like this I tend to over do the information. The information on food safety was put in place for a reason and I strictly follow it. I've been hospitalized with it and was very ill also. It's not fun. I'd hate to see anyone else get sick, that's why I posted that info.

Do yourself a huge favor and get a meat therm., makes a world of difference.

As far as the pork goes the safety regs and how they are raised now and cleaner animals is why the temp. safety dropped from 170 degrees down to 145 degrees now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%