Help With Pricing

Decorating By pinkyEm Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 3:51pm by pinkyEm

pinkyEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkyEm Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone. I have been asked to do a wedding cake by a friend and by my aunt. I am a hobby baker and not a professional by any means. I don't have a clue what to charge. I don't think I should charge as much a professional because I am not one and I don't have a bakery so I have no overhead or employees or anything but I don't want the cake to end up costing me money.
Also, I am not trying to take business from any professionals by charging less, I'm not starting a business and won't be advertising that I do cakes or anything, just making a couple of cakes for people I know.

Both cakes will be 3 tier rounds. One will serve about 130 people and the other about 80. The one for 130 people will be fondant covered and pretty simple. She wants a border around each tier and a bow topper which she may provide. The 80 people cake will be iced in buttercream and again pretty simple, maybe a little pipping detail but not much and no topper. What would be a fair price for these cakes?

Also, what would the "rules" be to copying a cake found online? Both sent me pics of what they like. Should I contact the "owner" of the cakes and ask how they feel about using their design? Would that be the appropriate thing to do?

I really don't want to step on any toes here but I am excited about making these cakes.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 4

1. Add up ALL your costs, including ingredients, boards, dowels, foil, boxes, gas for shopping & delivery, utilities, etc.

2. Call local bakeries and find out what they charge per serving for a similar cake.

3. Pick a price somewhere in the middle that you feel comfortable with.

About copying a cake design - if cake artists didn't expect their designs to be copied, they wouldn't publish pictures. icon_smile.gif You do not need to request permission to copy a design, but it is a common professional courtesy if you post a picture of your completed cake to say "inspired by a Colette Peters design" (or whoever icon_wink.gif )

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:17am
post #3 of 4

I agree with kellym

pinkyEm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkyEm Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%