Pennys Sugar Cookies

Decorating By Jmtreu98 Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 3:52pm by FromScratch

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 15

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone have the recipe for Pennys Sugar Cookies? My computer crashed icon_cry.gif and now I lost the recipe.

Thanks,

Jeanene

14 replies
mandifrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandifrye Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 15

Jeanene -

You so sound like me. I love my computer, but if I lose it, I lose it all! icon_eek.gif

I have never used this recipe, I usually use NFSC. But, I got the link from another forum not too long ago. I swore I would try it when I have some time for experiementing. That time has yet to arrive! icon_cool.gif

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2000-12-01/recipe.php

What do you like about this recipe? Have you always used this one, or others?

HTH -
Mandi

Jmtreu98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jmtreu98 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandifrye

Jeanene -

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2000-12-01/recipe.php

What do you like about this recipe? Have you always used this one, or others?

Thanks Mandi!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I have become too dependent on my computer to store things...I really need to start printing more recipes and keeping copies in my recipe box (Jeez, what a concept) icon_confused.gif

I love this recipe because there is no refrigeration needed before using. I have no patience! I use the NFSC also. I love them both, but the one thing about Penny's is the heavy cream just adds something to the cookie. They are really delicious. You will not be disappointed!

I understand what you mean about time! I have a stack of things I want to try, but right now I am planning for Christmas. I am giving cookies as gifts this year.

Let me know if and when you try it and how you like them!

mandifrye Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 15

I think that I will try them for Thanksgiving baskets for the teachers. The teachers always love my cookies, and they won't have to be perfect. icon_surprised.gif

Thanks for the information, I will let you know how all goes in a few weeks.

Mandi icon_biggrin.gif

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 15

This recipe calls for "unbleached four". What is that? Cake flour? Please advise. Thanx

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 15

What a great idea! To make 'teacher baskets'!! I always stress over what to get the teachers and this should be an obvious one! thanks for the idea. I also have piles of recipes to try and will add this one to it! (on top lol)
THanks!!

mandifrye Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:02am
post #7 of 15

I decided that I would do the teacher basket thing this year. I have done one for each teacher for the beginning of the year and Halloween, thus far. They have been a HUGE hit and gotten me LOTS of orders in the meantime. Some of the teachers have shared their cookies and other teachers see me as I deliver, it has been great marketing.

I spend more time than I normally would on a gift, but it is a ton cheaper than buying 4 different gifts all of the time. Besides, who really knows what the teacher really wants!!! I always ended up getting gift cards to speciality bath product shops and spas. BUT THAT ADDS UP QUICK! I love the idea of this and plan on doing it many more times in the future. I have made my children's teachers the envy of the other teachers! They all know that their mommy is going to feed that sweet tooth! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaah

This recipe calls for "unbleached four". What is that? Cake flour? Please advise. Thanx

Yes! Help! I don't know what unbleached flour is either! Thanks!!

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:00pm
post #9 of 15

its the exact same thing as regular all purpous flour it just hasn't gone through the bleaching process. its usually right by the AP flour and they can be used interchangeably.

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:02pm
post #10 of 15

Use all-purpose flour in the recipe. It will state on the flour packaging whether it is bleached or unbleached and is just how the wheat has been processed into flour.

Happy Baking!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 15

Bleaching is a process that is used on the flour.. you can get unbleached AP flour or bleached AP flour.. the same goes for cake flour and bread flour.. though they can be harder to find (especially unbleached cake flour) unless you mail order them.

For Penny's recipe it calls for unbleached AP flour. You can find this in your grocery store. I use King Arthur brand, but you can find others.

Bleaching makes the product white and alters the gluten molecules.. your dough will be a bit more elastic using bleached vs unbleached. There is discussion over the saftey of using bleached flour.. they use Benzoyl Peroxide and Chlorine Dioxide and a Chloride gas as well as adding Potassium Bromate (a suspected carcinogen) and Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C). Europe, Japan and Canada don't allow the use of Potassium Bromate in food products and a few states, namely California, in the US require that it is put on the label. Some people say that the process leave behind only trace amount of any of these chemicals, while others say it is potentially harmful. Who knows.. they change their mind as to what is safe and what isn't daily it seems.

I like unbleached flour.. especially in cake and cookie making since you don't want it to be overly glutenous.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about the subject, but that's what I am good for. icon_wink.gif

I use and LOVE Penny's Recipe.. IMHO you can't beat it.

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 15

I am not the expert but I have just always used all-purpose flour even whe it says unbleached. I looked at my Bread Flour bag and it says unbleached but I use it only for bread, but my all-purpose says bleached. OK I looked further and if it says bleached it is made whiter by chemical stuff! So its really just whiter flour.

FromScratch Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 15

It is and it isn't.. It's not that simple. The bleaching process changes the molecular structure of the gluten in the wheat making it chemically different than unbleached flour. You will yeild simillar results using either.. but bleached flour yields a slightly denser product.

You can actually smell the difference (and taste it too IMHO) between something made with bleached vs unbleached flour. Not that it's entirely unpleasant, but it's something that I notice. I often use bleached cake flour because it's all that they sell in the stores around here.. and I can smell it immediately when you are mixing it up.

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:48pm
post #14 of 15

jkalman,
that's great to know. I'll pay more attention next time I buy flour. I didn't realize baking wise it made a difference in the end product.

yes, it does seem like the experts change their minds daily as to what is good for you today will kill you tomorrow...

FromScratch Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:52pm
post #15 of 15

It's not a HUGE difference, but it's there. I really feel that for baked goods (unless you are talking about breads) going with unbleached is the better option.. the less gluten development the better when it comes to cakes and cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%