Can I Use Real Teacups To Bake My Cupcakes In?

Baking By DiscoLady Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 6:23pm by hilly

DiscoLady Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:52pm
post #1 of 4

I thought it would be a good idea to bake the cupcakes directly in the teacups. The guest could simply eat it with a spoon and keep the teacup as her favor. What do you think?

3 replies
7yyrt Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 4

You could, if the cups are oven safe, like Corning Ware. I used stoneware cups in the microwave for that 5 minute cake recipe. What cups are you thinking of using?
Found you a recipe -

DiscoLady Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 4

Just cute cups I come across at the thrift stores I guess.
I noticed that the recipe you provided says heavy China cup.
Guess I would just have to try. Thanks for the recipe btw sounds good!

hilly Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 4

After seeing the food science guy on Food Network devote an entire show to cupcakes and explaining that this is how cupcakes originated (by baking in actual teacups), I decided to do teacupcakes for my daughters birthday a couple of months ago - we did an Alice in Wonderland Tea Party. I lucked out and found real teacups at a thrift store (I chose the hardy ones as opposed to delicate cups) for something like a quarter a piece. One thing he did mention is not to grease the cups as the batter needs to be able to climb up the sides.

I didn't have time to personalize the cups like I thought I would so we didn't give them as favors but I think it's a fabulous idea. FWIW, the teacupcakes were a HUGE hit, everyone thought it was super cute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%