Attaching Fondant To Rice Krispie Treat Figures????

Decorating By Burningbeard Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 2:19pm by dessert1st

Burningbeard Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a birthday cake for my son and i have made dinosaurs out of Rice krispie treats. I wanted the 3d effect and as usual I went bigger and more complicated than I should have. Its been about 3 years since I have done any cakes and I am re-learning everything. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

10 replies
mmljztaa7 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 11

i made a dinosaur cake and for the head and legs and tail i used rice crispies and chocolate and moulded it into shape straight after mixing with the melted chocolate, once it had set i then covered the bits with sugarpaste/fondent, the fondent stuck to the rice crispies really easy no problem and needed no additional ingrediants.

i was wondering if i could melt down mars bars and use that to coat the rice crispies in as something different, haven't tried it yet but will do.

cylstrial Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 11

Can you just crumbcoat the RKT? Just a thought as I haven't actually tried making figures out of RKT.

Burningbeard Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:30am
post #4 of 11

I am going to give it a shot both ways and see what works thank you both for the help

momma28 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 11

the only rice crispie treat I have covered in fondant was the neck to a guitar cake that I made about a month ago. I "crumb coated" the rice crispie treat neck and the fondant was smooth and stuck nicely.

Callyssa Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 11

I made a cottage out of RKT and just used a very thin coat of bc; the fondant stuck just fine! I wanted the bumpy texture of the RKT to show through, which is why I went so thin, but really, it didn't show anyway. I just wouldn't overload it.

dessert1st Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:38am
post #7 of 11

Hmmm, I made a large Eagle head out of Rice Krispies that I covered in fondant. I put the fondant directly on the RK. I never even thought about a crumbcoat. The only change I made was that I didn't use butter in my RKT, just water & marshmallows. (I did add a little butter flavoring just in case someone "wanted" to eat it but I didn't let them anyway). I omitted the butter just to be sure that the fondant would stick - a tip I learned here. icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 11

We just read an article where the cake decorator used RKT. She had used buttercream to crumb coat the RKT and then put the fondant on top of the buttercream.

Paul & Peter

dessert1st Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 11

Hmmm, I made a large Eagle head out of Rice Krispies that I covered in fondant. I put the fondant directly on the RK. I never even thought about a crumbcoat. The only change I made was that I didn't use butter in my RKT, just water & marshmallows. (I did add a little butter flavoring just in case someone "wanted" to eat it but I didn't let them anyway). I omitted the butter just to be sure that the fondant would stick - a tip I learned here. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 11

Wow dessert1st -- I never knew that you could just leave the butter out when making RKT and that it would stick! That's a great tip! Thanks for sharing!

dessert1st Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 11

Cylstrial, It worked great. I did need to keep spraying my hands with cooking spray so I didn't stick to the RKT while forming my shape. The Fondant stuck just fine with a little pressue. I was making layers of Eagle feathers, so the bumps of the RKT didn't matter because the next feather layed over it. I think the Buttercream coating that some use would be more for the purpose of a smooth finish to the fondant, rather than it being the "glue".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%