Can You Explain The Cutting Guide?

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm by tiggy2

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 7:33am
post #1 of 7

I read Wilton's round cutting guide & thought I had it down, but then when looking at the yearbook's example I'm totally lost.

It says to move in 2", cut a circle then when you get to 6" round to cut into wedges.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/party-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

So, for a 10" (which I'm delivering tomorrow & need a cutting guide to give them) it shows cutting all the way around, then cutting the 8" into wedges. Then for the 12" it shows moving in 2", then another 2" then cutting into wedges (which I'm thinking it's an 8" round, but has bigger wedges).

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/cake-cutting-guides/wedding-cake-cutting-guide.cfm

So, I'm totally confused how this works & have no idea where to begin to draw a template to give the people. Can someone clarify this confusion for me?

**Oh, I'm using the "party" sizes (1.5" x 2" x 4").

6 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 10:24am
post #2 of 7

personally i cut the cake into stripes. Move in 2 inches from the edge, the two end pieces will be wedges with lots of icing, then just cut your 1 to 1 1/2 inch wide pieces. Much easier then bothering with the circle thing.

OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:49pm
post #3 of 7

I don't know the website right off, but go to Indydebi's website...she has cutting instructions that make cutting a round cake very easy.

I'm sure it's probably posted on CC a million time too.

HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 7

I also recommend the long "stripe" cuts. Cutting that circle makes that part of the cake unstable and it can fall off the cake.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 7

There is a picture turitorial on here, let me check my pics for you..

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 7

Go to indydebs photo's page 4 there are pictures on how to cut it. I myself strugled with this until I came across her pics. Hope this helps out.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 7

indydebi's website is www.cateritsimple.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%