Fondant Figurine - Sunbather

Decorating By lubbie Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm by cylstrial

lubbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lubbie Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:45am
post #1 of 2

Hi - I just joined today and I'm making a 21st cake - 2 tier with a fondant female sunbather (with black one-piece bathing suit) on the top tier. I tried making the torso and legs sitting up, to go on a sun lounger (which I was also going to make out of fondant), but it all wrinkled and she looked like she was 150 not 21 - LOL. So I've changed tack to making her lying down on a towel. I've made the head and put a wooden skewer through it, but need to now make the torso, legs and arms. Do I make these separately, and glue/skewer them together, or make the torso and legs in one and glue/skewer the arms, or do all 3 in 1 piece. Also, do I need to completely dry the body before I put on the bathing suit and how do I effectively attach the bathing suit (black fondant - bleeds when I use flower glue) to the torso? HELP PLEASE. This is the centre piece of the cake and I've never done full people fondant figurines before and the 21st is on 29th November ... soon icon_eek.gif

1 reply
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 2

First off, Welcome to CC!!

I think yould should PM (Private Message) Aine2. She is really good at making fondant figurines and would probably be happy to help!

I have a little experience with fondant figures. If I were to do it, I would make the torso first. Then I make both arms at the same time...put them on. And then I make the legs at the same and then glue them on. I've never thought about completely drying the body before putting the suit on.. but I think that could be a really good idea. That way the body wouldn't squish when you are putting the swim suit on. I would use a little bit of gum glue, maybe in the center and attach it. Then you could lay the little thing down and pick up the corners and put a dab of glue under there and then press down so that your black fondant isn't bleeding everywhere. Or you could use a little bit of icing.

Goodluck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%