Why Did My Jolly Rancher Turn Green?

Decorating By trumpetmidget Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 9:43pm by KoryAK

trumpetmidget Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trumpetmidget Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 10

I am making a gingerbread piece for a competition. There is a stained glass cross on one of the walls. When I baked the gingerbread, I put crushed blue jolly ranchers in the cross hole to achieve the blue stained glass look. When it came out, the window was green. So, I was wondering if someone who understood the chemistry of what happened could tell me why it turned green. I thought maybe it mixed with the gingerbread. But, I didn't have a thick enough window, so I melted jolly ranchers to spoon into the window. Those melted jolly ranchers turned green, too. Why?
Thanks for the help! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:06am
post #2 of 10

The only way for blue to become green is to add yellow...gingerbread is yellow enough to make that happen, imo.

dg10148 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dg10148 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:08am
post #3 of 10

Don't green and yellow make blue maybe that is why you are getting green

trumpetmidget Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:10am
post #4 of 10

Right, which is what I thought. But, when I melted the second set, they were in a seperate bowl, not touching the gingerbread. I melted them in the microwave. When they came out of the microwave, they were green. What would I have to melt to get blue? icon_smile.gif

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:18am
post #5 of 10

is it possible that the blue jolly rancher may have been overcooked and burned a little? if it got a little burned/brownish, that might account for the greenish tint?

the only think I could think of to get blue "glass" would be to bake your pieces first and then make a clear melted sugar and add blue to that...

that makes little sense to me icon_wink.gif time for bed =D

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:25am
post #6 of 10

When I was making the watter (hard rock candy) for my pirate ship on my gallery that happen to me, I made the firs batch and it was blue but after that I use the same pot to make the 2nd. and I burn it a little bit and it was green icon_cry.gif so I got to colors water but you know what it look so nice for the efect that I want to give to the water, so I got an fortunate little accident icon_lol.gif . So maybe yours was overcooked like Atomikjen said.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:54am
post #7 of 10

When sugar carmelizes, it turns a golden brown color. That golden color plus blue would make a nice green color. I don't know if you melt the Jolly Ranchers very slowly, whether you can keep it at a low enough temperature to prevent any color change.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:58am
post #8 of 10

Have you tried to add blue coloring to it?

trumpetmidget Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 10

I baked the jolly ranchers at 375 for 10 minutes and when I melted them the second time, I did it in the microwave for 30 seconds. So, I guess it cooked to fast. That would make sense that the sugar carmelized and that is why it is green. It's not detrimental, it's just not what I wanted. icon_sad.gif But, it will still work. I'm thinking of seeing if I can paint blue candy color on it and if that will do something to help.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 9:43pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg10148

Don't green and yellow make blue maybe that is why you are getting green

I'm pretty sure that green and yellow do not make blue.icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%