How To Preserve Cake Dummies

Decorating By ladybug76 Updated 7 Nov 2008 , 3:09pm by ladybug76

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:35am
post #1 of 3

Hi all!! Looking for some advise on how to preserve cake dummies? I was told in the past to use a matte (spray) finish but this quite frankly... scares me!! I'll take any tried - and - true ways!!! icon_biggrin.gif I have a few cake show displays that I would like to preserve in the 'hopes' of using someday in my shop. Thanks much for your help!!
~ Jaime

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:52am
post #2 of 3

I have dummies that are two years old and they are still sitting in my shop. They hold up fine and I don't do anything to them. I ice in BC .... it's funny that the same icing I use on my cakes, that crusts ok on the outside but stays nice and soft on the inside ... this same icing when applied to styrofoam turns hard as concrete.

It's fun to tell the lookers, "Yeah, it's ok ... you can touch 'em!" thumbs_up.gif

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your help!! ... and congrats on the Member Spotlight!! Your story is truly inspiring, as I am 'trying to build enough nerve' to break out and start a shop of my own.
I have another question..... all my cake dummies are covered in fondant, not BC. I have seen some cakes at local craft stores with displays, which appear faded over time. Not quite sure if they had the cake smack-dab in the window which the sun could have effected or not, but I wasn't sure if that made a difference in covering.
Thanks again to anyone for their help!
~ Jaime

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%